1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Removal Price-1000 Yars of Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

What would you guys charge to truck 1000 yards 2 or 3 miles away?
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I would only do hourly
  3. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i'd charge $1,113.47
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Hourly , for both the trucks and loader and get a contract and a deposit .
  5. Four Seasons

well I really dont know how long it woulod take so if someone wanted an estimate from you, even if it was a range, how much would it be?
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Give us all the info , truck size , how many trucks do you have , loader size and quantity , traffic , road conditions , etc. If someone wanted an estimate , I would tell them the hourly price , and then quess , A tandem will hold 20 yards of snow , at 100 dollars per trip it would be 50 trips , thats 5 grand , a loader at 100 per load would be another 5 grand
  7. Four Seasons

with a set price for the job it shouldnt matter wheather Im using a tri-axle or a wheel barrow but it'll be

2 tri axle
    1 skid steer unless thats too small and we'll scrap that for a 3 yd wheel loader
    small town traffic, no lights
    2 loads per hour
    paved roads
    dumping in a field 2 or 3 miles away
  8. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

$3500 approx. price really depends on your area. i used a skid the other night and was loading 4 loads an hour (2 trucks 30 min turn around) depends on load placement. sometimes a SS is better and sometimes a loader is

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Even if it's a set price the tools you employ are VERY important to you. Not so much to the customer if he is getting competitive bids. Productivity will influence price.
    I had to haul a lot of snow last year. My scenario was similar to yours. The dump site was a couple of miles away with (3) stop lights to contend with. We did the work in the middle of the night (which I would recommend you do too). The dump site had firm footing and could easily be accessed with dump trucks. Trucks could dump 2-3 wide so waiting to dump was not an issue. The snow was not stockpiled on the middle of the lot. It was stock piled on islands/planters in and around the perimeter of the lot. I used a 3 yard loader and (4) 10 wheel dump trucks. The lot was large so I had plenty of room to stage trucks and maneuver the loader. Snow was piled high in the trucks (to the point of spilling over). If I remember correctly I could put +/- six buckets in each truck. My production rate was about ten trucks per hour. Conditions were almost optimal accept that I had to pull snow back out of the planters, while being somewhat careful of trees and shrubs, after all the snow that was in the stalls (planters were full, and stacked snow was choking off too much of the stalls, hence the hauling) had been picked up.
    I'm not sure if I would use this production rate for your bid. I have over 25 years in the seat, and I was flat work'n it to get that production (talk about left leg cramps!)). If you figure ten minutes per truck (to load) , I think you will be safe. This will be easy to attain if you have one big pile in the middle of the lot. If you don't, I think this will still give you enough time to do a bit of work between trucks. If you need to do work just to gather the snow before loading than I would reduce the amount of trucks, so the loader has time to do this, or get a support unit (the skid may be perfect for this) to feed the loader. You must decide how long it will take the trucks to dump and return. With such a short run, and no traffic, it won't take long. Your skid will be too small to fill the those tri-axles to their potential (unless you are loading from an elevated position, which is highly unlikely). What skid steer is it? Does it have a snow bucket? I would really recommend a loader if you have room for it. It will load faster, will be able fill the trucks to capacity, and it won't have as much trouble if the snow has packed down and gotten hard. I have used my A300 to load trucks before. It worked pretty good but it's a large skid and the 100" snow bucket packs in around 2 Yards. If you are using a smaller skid, and/or have the standard bucket you will lose cost efficiency because the trucks will spend too much time sitting around getting loaded instead of hauling snow. Tri-axles usually have 20 yard boxes so the sides are pretty high. I would have to check the height of the bed side before I would consider using my skid. Even if it can clear the side it will be difficult to get the snow piled up in the center of the bed. Since I have a 3 yard loader I would not even think about the skid unless there were extenuating circumstances that prohibit the use of the loader. Don't forget to factor in dump fees, if you are getting charged by the land owner. If it's your land than I would want to get dump fees. You will have trash to pick up (after it melts in the spring), and you will have to deal with the storm water management issues. Again, I would recommend that you work at night. There should be much less traffic, and the ground should remain frozen (you did say that you were dumping in a field). Obviously I have not given you a dollar figure, and I don't plan to. I have, however, given you some insight on what to consider in coming up with your own price. You will have to figure in what your costs are and decide how productive your operator will be.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

We've done a lot of this, and I can tell you that hourly is the only way to ensure you don't lose your ass on it. If you have to fix a price, then estimate (as outlined above) per hour, per piece of equipment, based on loader/truck capacity and volume to be relocated. Require 50% up front (maybe more), and count on a hassle for the balance.

IMO, the loader is the only way to fly here, but if you're outrunning the trucks, then the SS may do (if it can reach).

11. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

$100 per load to load the truck? Sign me up!
  12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

(looks up)

13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Time wise you should be able to do that in 3.5-4 hours with two trucks and a loader. We haul with a roll off with a 40 yard can, and a 20 yard tri axle, and the other night we moved 1200 yards in 4 hours.
  14. Four Seasons

great info thanks. MDB that sounds really fast. I gave the price at 300 per hour for the loader and 2 tri's and estimated 3000-5000 for snow bank removal of 1000+ yards. Crazy expensive snow really! There has to be a better way, just melting the piles or something.
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Use a blower to load the trucks.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you own the all the equipment you can't really loose your azz unless your way way off on price. I can also say don't schedule more then 2 trucks unless your really use to loading trucks it's one heck of a long night loading if your not use to doing that type of work. You can always get an extra truck the following night night if needed. The blower is a great idea but I don't own one and only have to haul snow every 3 years so I'll use buckets. I think the 3-5k price is in the ballpark. We only work by the hour hauling and we can haul alot of snow for 5k. The speed of your trucks will also determine how much you can haul, some truck drivers working by the hour screw the dog, the guys I get go like heck so it's worth the extra money.
  17. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Two years ago using a JD 644 with oversize bucket I could keep up to 5 triaxle trucks hauling less than a mile. Fortunately I also had a pickup with a V plow doing the tidying up after I had loaded a pile, he'd scrap it all over to the next spot for me to load it out.

It certainly made the night go by fast! No clue how many yards we moved, but when you're loading a truck in about 2-3 minutes each, it's a lot. Luckily the dump site had lots of room for dumping, so it didn't matter about it getting stacked as we went.
  18. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

$300 an hr for a 3 yd loader? loading trucks? i'm moving to your town.

on edit, scuse me...i see you had the 2 tri axles in there too, my meeeeeeeestake
  19. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

It may sound fast but it is very accurate and our dumpsite is approx. 3 miles away. This is what it took us to do the job. Again, our truck drivers keep moving, but we average 4 hours just about every time we haul at this place.
  20. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Yar!.... I'll take thee 1000 Yars for a single doubloon