1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote switch

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by zeeman, Jul 16, 2014.

1. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

Hello Everybody!!!
    Hope this catches ALL doing well and having a nice Summer. I am NEW here on the Forum and anxious to 'learn' from the pro's on any questions I may have in the future with my Strobes.
    But being honest, I joined this forum to seek out ANY tips or how-to's on making a remote type FOB to turn on/off my strobes...using the remote to switch flash patterns.....using it to utilize the hi/lo function of the Whelen Competitor 90 Watt Control Panel. These strobes (6) will be installed on my Corvette Z06 for shows/Parades. This will be the 4th Corvette I've owned that has had Strobes. The first 2 had the Whelen's installed by Fallsway Equipment Company out of Akron, Ohio. Only install step I never cared for though was the toggle switch they mounted beneath the dash on the drivers side to turn them off or on. To change the sequence, you had to use a jumper wire to change the flash pattern.
    Now..... Here is what happened with my last install on my 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06. A friend of mine here at Du Pont, who was an electrician and had a side job of installing strobes for the local Sheriffs Department and the local emergency vehicles, manufactured somehow, a remote control which had several buttons (numbered) on it.... Each button had a function, as I have mentioned earlier in my post here... At car shows, it was always good to stand outside the Corvette and actuate the strobes for the car show participants and visitors... Unfortunately... My friend passed away from Leukemia at age 49 a couple years ago and I haven't the slightest idea how he ever made that control for me. I DO know, he had ordered from Jegs, out of Columbus, Ohio, something he had to use to construct it.... And if my mind serves me correctly, it was attached on top of my Whelen Control unit
    My question to all of you PROS is.... Does ANYONE have any idea how to make this remote control?? It was only the size of a small cell phone. When I sold that particular Corvette, it went to Miami, Florida and with it, the remote.....
    Thanks in advance to any responses I may receive on this topic...:salute:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea I have seen then.on eBay.
    Theres a guy who also does installs in Illinois named George. He can probably help you out

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ebay has these for real cheap. Easy peasy to wire. I have one on my flat bed dump. 2 function.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ill second George at Wicked Warnings

5. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

Would you have any links to the item you speak of on eBay?

6. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

Any idea how one can get in touch with George? I live in WV so Illinois would be too far to have George do the install. If anybody would know his email addy I'd appreciate it being sent to me... Thanks for ALL the replies to date!! Great Forum!

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Get 10 posts and I can PM u his number. Need 10 to PM. Go in pic area and tell people nice plows or something.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Nice plow. Blah blah blah. Beetlejuice.

9. 1olddogtwo

Beetlejuice.....haha

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Just search 12v remote. There are many with multiple channels relays and options.

11. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

Oops! Was not aware of the 10 posts thing....Sorry about that... Good tip there to go to the pic area and make some nice comments on the plows or tractors, etc.... :)

I DID locate George's website so won't need that email address now that I have it already....:) Thanks for the replies!! Also spoke with Mike's Auto Center in Massillon, OH today and he told me he'd install the strobes for 3-4 hundred $'s..... Thought that was a fair price......do you guys? He is about 2+ hours away from me here in WV....

Zeeman

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

George used to fly out to customers. Not sure if he still does.

There's several people on here that had work done by him if you search

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

It is not rocket science to install strobes. Just follow the directions.

14. 1olddogtwo

Its fairly easy to do a basic kit. Go on strobesnmore.com Louis has some install videos on drilling lights with some good tips.

15. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

LOL.. I'm sure it isn't..... Just get lost when it comes to anything that involves wiring.

16. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

Really? Wow!! Now that is what I call dedication and a good guy...!! Where he's located from me, is a little over 7 hours drive....:( Hmmm...may contact him to see what his schedule is...:))

17. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

George is the man when it comes to lighting needs. Just about anyone in the Chicago Tri-state area will tell you that. He is worth the trip and will do it any day of the week that you need it done.

18. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare Member

Stl has a wireless control I bought, has 2 remotes and can do 4 functions.

19. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare Member

20. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

orinicklawncare.............

Thanks for the tip on STL... May be exactly what I am looking for!