1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote Starter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CityGuy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am looking at putting a remote starter on my 08 Chevy just like I have on my 98. On my 98 I got an after market Viper with just remote start. I was told by the dealer that on my 08 the remot start is just plug and play. No wire cutting involved. Can anyone confirm this or have other recomendations. Range is really not an issue as I really only use it to start it from upstairs before going out to plow.

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Are you talking about the GM remote start?

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, I am trying to decide to use gm remote start and an after market.

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Do NOT use an aftermarket starter.. The GM one will be more expensive but it will be MUCH more worth it.. We get cars in all the time with aftermarket **** put on them and 5 times out of 10 we end up cutting out the entire heap of wire these guys install.. Cutting into the factory harness is abotu the worse thing you can do unless its necessary..

5. dmax 2500hd

dmax 2500hd Junior Member

I have an 08 GMC with the factory remote starter, it works great. Go with the factory system, you'll be happy you did.

6. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I second that, we see quite a few vehicles in the service department with bad installs.