1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

remote starter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wirenut, Dec 8, 2004.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

:waving:
    hi all.
    i am looking for a remote starter anyone have experience with
    them ? i dont need any frills just a plain starter whats the best one
    out there...

2. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I know modules are about $80$90 or so depending on your truck

most shops run specials around Christmas installed for $149-$199

I would just leave it to the pros and spend the extra money

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

i am curious about them as well...can you put them on a diesel? i didnt' know if you could because of the preheat.

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Yes you can put them on diesel. A friend of mine has it on his Ford SD. It times out the glow plugs and then starts the truck. I have one in my 99 Yukon with the alarm. Both are made by Viper. Its great on cold days.

5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

wirenut, What part of NH you in? I work part time at a shop that does remote starters. Astrostart is the best hands down. There are really never any problems with them :waving:

6. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I had a viper in my dodge diesel; it's a little more expensive but boy it is really nice on cold mornings. It also had a delay for the glow plugs

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Had a Bulldog in my last car, now I have a Vampire, in our van and another Bulldog in my plow truck they both work great. Cost for Vampire $139.00 w/ two remotes installed, Cost for Bulldog, one remote $93.00

8. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

I've installed many remote starters. I learned how to install them when I worked at a stereo shop a while back. The one that I prefer is an autocommand (designtech). They are a quality piece with good tech support if needed. I have installed many bulldog units due to their low cost, and have actually seem to have pretty good luck with them.

The few tips I can give you are, be patient and take your time. Test, test, test the wire before "using" the wire. Although the wire diagrams are usually correct, test and make sure. Don't cut the wires needed for installation (unless otherwise noted in directions), simply pull the insulation back on the wire, probe a hole through, then take wrap the needed wire in the hole.

If you decide to get one for yourself and have any questions, just post and I'll try to get you the answers you need...... :salute:

Later,
    Chris

9. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

thanks guys :drinkup: :drinkup:

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mine works fine on my diesel. I can program it to do all kinds of stuff. One example is I can have it start automatically every 3 hours and run for 15 min. when it's cold out.