1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

remote starter

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jbart06, Sep 24, 2015.

1. jbart06

jbart06 Member

I have a 2012 f250 GAS 6.2 liter. I have a western pro plus installed on the truck. two questions here are:

1- what is the best option for a decent remote start to have installed ( i have never had one but seems it would be awesome to wake up and start the truck in the middle of the storm from my bedroom lol)

2- some have said since i have a plow on the truck it will make a total hack job of my wiring under the dash and is just not reccomended to even bother unless its a factory installed system???

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You might already have it,
    My 14 had it and all I had to do was buy the key fob and have the guy plug his laptop in and turn it on.
    Took all of five minutes

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i would check with your local ford dealer as said above.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing in the plow wiring connect to anything in the dash..... the wiring harness for the controller routes through the dash but does not connect anything.... the red power wire connects to the fuse box under the hood

I should add I have the factory remote start plus an aftermarket viper

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had a remote start installed in a 2006 F350 years ago. No issues. Nice snd warm and the windows are defrosted.....

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I had them on my 6.0s and never any issues
    Had them on my 7.3 never any issues
    Have them on my 6.2 no issue
    And my 6.7 no issues
    And even my 5.4 no issues
    All have plows 6.7 is factory rest are aftermarket about $250 each installed my local radio shop installs them
    Who ever tells u different would be wrong
    Who ever said it may be there already is smart I never checked first

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed

As I said earlier, I have the Viper system setup and my truck. I'm able to start my truck from my phone and track it on GPS as well as set up predetermined start times

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

1. Please remove all of these people from the list of people you speak to. They will only hurt your brain with their stupidity.

2. Before cutting off communication with them, please ask them all to get vasectomies, or hysterectomies so they are forever removed from the gene pool.

9. Hard'ack Hound

Hard'ack Hound Junior Member

Bought a Ford one on eBay for an '11 F150, that's the year they started plug n play, watched a youtube video, installed it in 5 minutes (plugged it in, and cable tied unit behind glove compartment through side access panel) and then brought it to the dealer where they cut the 2 news keys/fob and programmed it along with all 6 keys that i had for $35. Dealer needs to "activate" it. I also had them activate the brake controller that I added, also from eBay, it was included in the $35 charge. I am impressed with the range. Nice to get things warmed up and helps when i can see out of the warm windows.

10. jbart06

jbart06 Member

Called dealer it is pre wired. 300 in parts 90 in labor

11. Hard'ack Hound

Hard'ack Hound Junior Member

I think that I paid $180 on eBay early last year, and the brake controller was a bit less. Dealer has them too. Just plugs in.... easy.

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

If you just get the new key, instead of the actual remote fob, it should be cheaper.

13. jbart06

jbart06 Member

I think thats what they were talking about, they really didnt say much about options for parts. I said something about a fob and they said it would all be on the key