1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote starter on a standard

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alamarc, Dec 1, 2005.

1. alamarc

alamarc Member

Hey guys,

Im looking for tips/advise on installing a remote starter on a standard. The dealers won't do it because of the liability risks(starting it while its in gear and smashing into things).

The truck is a 99 Toyota Tacoma 5 speed. On the left of the steering column there is a clutch start bypass switch. I was thinking that i might be able to permaneantly connect the circut.

Any Insight?
    Thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Why connect to that? It's a major liability in a standard- I have seen a couple installed, but I would recomend addind a switch somewhere that cuts out the remote stars unless the truck is in neutral reguardless of the clutch being depressed. It's not an issue of the clutch so much as most people park standards in gear, especially since parking brakes tend to freeze on in the winter months.

Remember, you don't want to be in the paper under the article about the 85 year old woman who drove throught the front window of a donyut shop as the guy who remote started his truck through his living room wall....

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have done it. The safest way is to put magnet switches around the shifter so that it senses when the truck is in gear. Takes a while to fine tune but will work well.

4. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I would not even try..It's not worth the rigging up you have to do to make it work. And if something goes wrong, it will go wrong in a BIG way...

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

you can't get any professionals around here to do it. but if you do make sure the e-brake is on and out of gear when you park it at night.

6. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

A remote start company called compustar makes a unit that is designed for vehicles with a standard transmission. It makes you go through a series of things when you get out of the vehicle with it running and the parking brake set. The vehicle actually stays running when you get out until you shut the door. If one of the doors is opened before the remote start is activated the next time, the remote start won't attempt to start the vehicle. It will just flash the lights to tell you a door has been opened. That way you know someone hasn't put the vehicle into gear. I had one of these on an old honda accord work car and it worked great.

7. alamarc

alamarc Member

compustar

i just looked at their site.. seems interesting but expensive--

what are the prices of the units that you looked at?

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

A buddy of mine did it to his Tacoma, it can done, sorry I don't have specifics, next time I see him I'll inquire.

9. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

I used to be an installer that was a dealer for them. The basic remote start/keyless entry Retail was around $450. I think the dealer cost was around $200.

10. alamarc

alamarc Member

450 installed or just for the product?

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hey Alamarc,

My bud used to be an installer too and he says those units for manual trans works the nuts... He always wanted me to try them since they work well.

12. alamarc

alamarc Member

Are they hard to install or relativle easy? Ebay has some for reasonable price so if i could install it myself then that would be cool

13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

They do make them. My sister has one on her car. Not too many companies make them. They run around $300 for one that works on a standard.

14. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

That was the installed price.

15. alamarc

alamarc Member

Thats not as bad as i expected...

Are they easy to install Or is there alot of hunting lines and splicing wires. How long was a typical install for you?

Sorry for the question but im hooked on this now.

Andrew

16. greenpastureslc

greenpastureslc Junior Member

I just had one of those put on my standard last winter. The cost was $300 installed. It would have been more if my truck had the security light in it.

17. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

The typical install on a manual was about 5 hours. Usually 3 or 4 for automatic transmissions. But keep in mind I was doing one or two a day and you get a lot quicker the more you do. The hardest part of the manuals is the clutch safety switch. It is usually very hard to reach, (probably on purpose). I would say if this is your first remote start install you should expect to spend 7-10 hours on it. Make sure you should solder all your connections. I think Scotchlocks and t-taps belong in the trash.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

18. alamarc

alamarc Member

Ok I can deal with that..

Do you think i will need a wiring diagram for my truck? If so any ideas where i can find one?

19. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

If it helps I have the full 04 factory manual set with wiring diagrams... PM me... If we get that 5 to 9 inches I'll be real busy tho!!! :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  20. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

Send me an email with a fax number or I can try to email it to you. I still have the program on my computer to get the wiring information. My email address is KeeblerBP@aol.com.