1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote Start

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Dec 13, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Any body have a remote start for there truck? i was looking into gettting one but idk which one.
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Two of my three plow trucks have them, as does my wife van and my sons car all Bulldog @ 99.00 installed each for the trucks and van, and $25.00 for my sons I bought from a friend and $20.00 installed.
  3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I would suggest staying away from a remote starter.
    They almost always lead to problems.
    It may be ok on your daily driver, but do you really want to take the chance on your money maker.
    I have personal owned a Compustar which I bought in 98 and it lasted about 6 years.
    But back then it retailed for about $800.00 with alarm and long distance pager system.

It you decide you have to have one look Code Alarm is one of the better cheap ones.
    DEI also makes some fair cheap ones.
    Stay away from Bulldog there electronics are inferior.

Remeber installation is a major issue, and alot of these company don't do a decent work.
    They hack into your wiring and twist your wires together and tape.
    I preffer the job to be done correct myself.
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Not sure what vehicle your planning on putting one in, but a few Chevy dealers told me that they are definitley against it and problems incured by it will not be covered under warranty. Everybody told me the same thing...after a certain period of time resistnace builds up in the wires and the truck wont start, it could stall while driving, or the tranny slips out of gear while parked (an electric problem not mechanical). This happened to one of the service managers i talked to. I guess this happened more often in the 2500 than 1500s.
    Whatever, thats what i was told by more than 3 different dealers. Dunno if this even pertains to your truck lol.
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

The Bulldog on the 93" has been on since 98" with 0 problems,and going on 2 yrs for the other three, again it's all in the installation. Make sure your installer has a reputable reputation and if you want you can download the wiring diagram for them from Bulldogs website. I can see this thread is going to be like the (what tire should I get) ect. threads.
  6. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I have a CompuStar in my HD and have had zero issues. The installer will warranty any issue for the life of my vehicle. My dealer said they have zero issues with remote staters, that's probally why they come standard on selected vehicles. I love getting into a warm truck. I looked into Blue Heat, but I could not part with $1500.00.

Just a thought.

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have to chime in here.

I Install remote starters for a living and I assure you that nothing bad can come of it. I have had remote starters on all my past vehicles with 0 problems ever.

HDboss, its funny that GM said that a RS will void your warranty, GM offers it as a dealer/factory option. I would not trust a mechanic when it comes to electronics. thats not a slam at all but alot of the mechaincs i talk to hate wiring and typically fumble the install of a RS. It could go the other way around too, i am not a mechanic!

If a RS is installed properly there really isnt a way for it to damage anything in the car. No wires should be cut except for the starter wire in some cases. All wires need to be soldered and taped. There is no way that I can see, that resistance can be built up over time. the car will always start.

I have intalled somwhere in the neighborhood of 600+ RS and only a small handfull of issues and most of the time its operator error.

a good brand to get is compustar though that is from hearsay. The brand i most comonly install is DEI which is also know as Viper, Clifford, Avital, Sidewinder, Python, Automate, Hornet and there may be a few others that thats the bulk of the brands that DEI owns.

Also, dont label a shop out by thier name. I work at a large electronics retailer with a common name that we all have heard of and the other guys that work here all have years of experiance. The small mom and pop shops are the hackers in our area. Make sure you talk to a guy with a few years experiance at whaetever shop you go to. look for the guy that still has passion for what he does.

I hope this helps you all out!!!

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

If you have problems from a remote starter, you're actually just having problems with the installer. They are about 40% product and 60% install. That being said, Astro Start is my personal favorite remote starter. They are well designed and extremely straight forward. I recommend them for all vehicles, but especially those with diesels.
  9. 06HD BOSS

Just to clarify, the dealers/ service manager was not referring to RS installed by them. 1st off they wouldnt do it, 2nd they told me of these issues with it being installed elsewhere. 5 dealers told me word for word the same story...i duno
  10. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ive been looking into the viper autostart system. and if yo have it installed by a certified installer its covered for life
  11. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I had the Viper starter and alarm on my old truck and never had a problem with it. I think that it was in there for 6 or 7 years. I wish that I took it out before i sold it:cry:
  12. stroker79

Hmm, thats really odd. I wonder what the deal is. GM was one of the first to offer a factory RS system. Oh well........
  13. 06HD BOSS

Not talking about OEM remote starts, im takling about aftermarket.
  14. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

anybody know what they use for oem afterstart? what brand?
  15. stroker79

Ahhh gotcha, that part totally went over my head, lol

Either way, the dealers in our area must be more understanding because if they blame a problem on the installation of the remote starter on us we ask the mechanic to call us and tell us how that can be and to prove that it was the remote starter. 9/10 times the work is suddenly covered under warranty. there have been a few times our bay had made a mistake but it was due to the installation and so our insurance covers that part for the customer.

i dont know how strong the relationship is but im pretty sure that GM uses alot of DEI technology in thier systems. the older systems even had DEI inscriptions on the back of the factory remotes.
  16. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I have a Commando RS-560 in mine and the wifes old car (son's driving), she's getting another in her new car for Christmas. I'll never have another car or truck without one(except the dump truck). All installed myself - for fear of hackers.
  17. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

ok i may call my chevy mechanic tomorrow and see what he says they use
  18. 353628

353628 Junior Member

Check these guys out

I spent some time looking around for a remote start that I felt comfortable with to install in my truck. After some research I came across this company.

They ask a lot of questions when you order the alarm and will recommend a system that will work well with your vehicle. They make up a custom prewired harness with customized instructions for your vehicle so its almost fool proof to install it on your vehicle. They even called me at home on a Saturday as they were making up the harness to verify a couple options my truck had. The custom instructions they sent were very good. I purchased the Alert 5500R. I also had to purchase the bypass kit that interfaces with the electronics on the truck. The only thing I would have done different was to go to Alerts web site before I started as their site shows you where to find the wires you need to connect to. What I really like about the system and the prewired package was that there was only one wire I had to cut, the rest were all spice connectors. If something screws up with it I could remove it all in 15 minutes. I didn't rush the install at all and I was still done in a couple hours. The system works great, If I leave the seat heaters on when I shut the vehicle off they even come back on when I use the remote start.

I defiantly give this company an A+. I found lots of cheaper remote starters, but the prewired kit and customize instructions these guys give sold me.

19. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Don't listen to your GM dealers, they're all full of it. I have heard that garbage from so many dealers. Just get a quality unit and either install it yourself or have a very good shop do it for you. They cannot void any warranties unless it can be proven that the starter caused the problem. It is illegal to do otherwise.
  20. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, when you have a heated garage at home, and a heated shop you don;t need remote start.