1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Who's got one? Had mine installed today. I have no luck with anything I try to do with this truck. The installer basically wired everything up, electrical taped it all and stuck it up against the fire wall. He also used my battery as a source of power instead of getting it from the ignition harness. I hate having wires running everywhere under my hood. He also used a mercury switch (more ugly wiring) on the hood so it won't start with the hood up.

Am I just too overly critical??? Do I expect too much from these people?

Needless to say I'm scheduled to have it go in on Tuesday, the manager over there is going to tear it all out and re-install it.
  2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I had some local car audio place do mine. They did a beautiful job. Before I went to them, I asked a bunch of people and heard stories about a lot of other places that did shabby work. This place was always given the thumbs-up. If it was near you, I would send you there but it is in Rhode Island.
  3. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I had remote start installed on my truck a few years back and went through the same stuff you are talking about, electrical taped wires and just a mess. Anyway I took it back and made them use heat shrink terminals and connectors and it turned out a lot better. There are still wires here and there, but nothing like when I got it back the first time. Believe me though, you will enjoy having a warm, or half-way warm truck to get into, especially if you are going out to plow. I am very happy with mine now that the wiring is at least done neatly. Good luck though!
  4. BL,
    I've had one in my last 3 vehicles and I wouldn't be without it. As long as it's installed properly you should have trouble free use. There's nothing like getting into a warm truck, all defrosted, to go plowing. The guy I use here makes his living installing remote starts at new car dealerships during the day and side jobs at night. I agree with you about the neatness though. Every time you open the hood it will bother you. Good luck.
  5. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Maybe I'm just a stickley for neatness also but I'm with you on the neatness. I just do everything myself so I don't have to worry. Heatshrink tubing, wire loom, and zipties make it all looks nice and presfessional.
  6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I would have done it myself but then I wouldn't have awarranty on the device should the truck go up in flames.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

dang mine came with a lifetime warranty so i am not worried about anything , plus when i got mine back i couldnt find anything that they installed. the problem i had was they didnt tell me it would override my factory door lock settings and i locked my keys in my truck one day .

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i agree do it your self i have put 3 starters in all my chevs it easy. this spring i am going to put one in the diesel.
  9. Calamari

Calamari Member

I had mine installed at the Ford dealer before picking up the new truck. Everything tye-wrapped, heat-shrunk and bolted down nice. No tape to be found. 5 year warranty. Diesel-delay works beautiful. Very long range as advertised works like a charm.
  10. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Why would you leave your keys in the truck if you have remote start? The other main benefit of it is that you can leave your car running while taking the keys with you.

11. Fergy42286

Fergy42286 Member

I've been looking to have one installed on my 04 silverado, who installed yours, and what did it set you back? Thanks, Brian

JRKRACE Senior Member

Wires under hood? Mercury switches????...Wow....I don't mean to be mean, but I would seriously consider going back and removing everything. There should only be 1 wire under the hood, and that is for a pin switch if the hood is open. All other wiring should be done under the dash. The tape is fine as long as it's SOLDERED. Butt splices and male/female terminals will give you problems down the road. I installed an Astroflex starter and soldered up all the connections. Worked out well and no relays to deal with. Believe it or not, the 2003 and up GM trucks are a breeze to install because of the data based electrical system. One wire hookup can control 2 or three things with the proper module. Just my .02.....
  13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Yeah I know....I took pics I'm going to post up tonight to show you guys. I'm torn between having them take it out and do it myself and havign them re-do it.
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The mercury switch and the pin switch are for the same thing. Either/or.

As for power from the battery or the fusebox, thats a matter of preference. Depending on the size of the wiring it uses it may be better coming off the battery.

Either way, the connections should ALL be soldered and heat shrunk for reliability and the wires run with the rest of the truck's harness... otherwise it just looks like :realmad: .

I recently had an exhaust job done on one of my trucks and it really really really annoys me everytime I see it. They broke a hanger on the rear, right by the tow hitch, so they installed another one.... 4-6" over and pulled the whole thing further back. So now the dual pipes don't sit anywhere near each other anymore, and look like hell. Really pisses me off and its visible every time I walk behind the truck.
  15. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I had it done at Inferno Audio a/k/a The Speed Shop in woonsocket. I don't remember the price but they did a very nice job. I think their web site is www.infernoaudio.com
  16. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

if you paid and have a receipt i would be at the front door and make them fix it or get a refund they are in business so make them earn it .if you didnt plow a lot right what would happen!go to the shop and demand they fix it,if they still want that sale it will get fixed.if not their competitor would love the business.that is your truck not theirs!
  17. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm getting one for my 04 Chevy 2500hd, been quoted around $350 +/-. That includes 2 remotes, keyless, alarm etc. with lifetiem warranty of parts and labor. Is this in line with what you guys have paid??
  18. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

You might want to go to this site:

And look up the contributor "Max Power"

He sells, installs and services Astrostart - Highly recommended- really knows his stuff.