1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote start install advice/help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Dec 28, 2011.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have a 98 chevy with the passlock 2
    I believe I know most of the do's and donts
    but any tips or pointers would be a great help to me
    The part Im most confused with is the power door locks and the passlock 2 bypass

Thanks in advance:salute:

2. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

where did you buy your starter unit from? and what brand is it?

i bought a starter unit for my 02, not sure which passlock it has but i remember that name.. the shop i got it from actually printed out instructions for me since i told them i'd be doing it myself.. maybe the place you got it from or the company that produces it can supply you with the tech support to figure out any confusion..

3. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

can't remember the name, but its a 2 way lcd paging system, I have most all the info....just when I bought my truck I never got a keyless entry remote so im not sure if it came with it from factory and that makes a difference when hooking up the remote door locks...

and I tried the passlock bypass module yrs ago and never seemed to get it to work properly, there is a guy on Youtube "Thelessco" that has a homemade bypass kit made from a relay and some resisters...just wondering if anyone tried this method? my plan was to pay a installer to do this but....lack of snow=lack of money.

4. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i hear you on the lack of money, buuuut, i will tell you a little story..

last winter my good friend's f350 w/ remote start/security system, started on fire while he was plowing.. not sure of the root of the problem but, it fried his entire wiring harness..

the real root of the problem was the guy that installed it, as he says.. he had someone install it, and i'm not sure how much experience he has with this, but he obviously did something very wrong... sooooooo, please don't cheap out on install, because that is the most important part.. please do it right, for trucks sake!

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

If it were me I'd just have 1 of the Viper remote start systems installed by an authorized dealer. They make a good product and they have all the knowledge.

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I think I worked out a deal with a local installer to plow his home driveway for the season to do the install, I already spent $230 on the remote start kit and most installers want $300-400, money I dont have since we have had no snow.

looks like a 6'' lake effect storm this monday for my areapayup

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sounds like a plan. I used to like installing radios and alarms. I don't have the patience anymore. I paid $300 installed for a Viper 2-way (confirm start) remote start on a car. We're snowless and warm here in Iowa.

8. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

i did astrostart installs for 4yrs. lost my job in 08. and i installed car starters in 94 camro 92 gmc 98malibu 03 silverado

i got a 04 silverado this yr. and paid $100 for the car starter on craigslist. $40 for the bypass module and $35 for an alarm add on w/shock sensor. i wanted an alarm on this one as i got a $800 generator stolen off my trailer and the took the beacon off the top of my truck. piss me off!!!!!

you can go to xpresskit.com for wire and program directions. or go to programmyremote.com to see if you go the the directons for programming and see if you have wireless lock/unlock.

9. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

X2 on xpresskit, they are owned by DEI, who makes many popular alarms like viper and avital. that's what I got the wife for christmas, doing the install this weekend.....Can you believe the alarm/starter knows to turn on the rear defroster if it is below 55*? Crazy age we're living in!

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Turns out the shop I was talking to will not install the remote starter I have so it's goin up for sale and there doing an install next week on one of the modles they carry.

So I have a 2way paging LCD remote starter with alarm and keyless entry for sale $120.00 OBO, I'll post it in the for sale section once I get some pics.

11. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

I installed a viper 5101 and bypass into my truck for under $100. Was a fairly easy install too even with adding actuators to give it power locks. Of course the actuators cost a lil more money too. But if you already have power locks, under $100 is pretty good imo.

12. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

The viper and the bypass I used are both dei and the data-2-data option made the bypass a little easier. Did you figure out what brand your 2 way starter was cameo?

13. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

oh i just realized you said they were putting in one of their models, srry

14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

anyone know if this is a good unit, Avital Dei 5303l 2 Way Lcd Remote Start Security
    also what elese do i need for it to work in 08 express van

thanks

15. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i also need to make it remote door lock capable

thanks

16. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

Does it have power locks already?

17. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

no power locks

18. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Yon I think you made the best choice
    I have had 2 car starters added to the wife’s cars over the years.
    1 from (circuit city $350 range installed)
    1 from (ABC warehouse $400 range installed)
    nice units with good range.
    My truck I spent $80 on a bulldog car starter.
    Installed my self 6 hr later only to find out I need to now buy the pass lock bypass.
    $30- 3 more hr’s.
    Had to measure the resistance of a wire in the steering column and set bypass to match could only get close.
    Long story short as long as I shut the truck of with the remote I can start it.
    If you turn it off with the key and try to start it will start for 2 seconds then die!
    I have used it that way for 8 years better than not having one

19. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

bulldog is junk only buy dei
    this will give you everything you need 2 install wire dig relay set ups http://www.the12volt.com/

20. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

ya i use the12volt for help as well. dei (and other companies)makes bypass units that wire easily and program with the turn of your key basically, no resistors or resistance measuring.
    That said, wirenut I see your van should have pk3+ immobilizer system. You will need the correct bypass unit like an xk09 or dball and the rflchgm accessory for it. As well as the remote starter, power lock actuators to add power locks and relays to control them, or a doorlock interface like a 528t whick is what I used when i put power locks for keyless entry into my Sierra