1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote start/diesel/96

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by kgb, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hi, everybody!
    Trying to install a remote start for my 2500 diesel '96. It is a "crime stopper" and I was just wandering if anyone knows a color codes and where can i find the wires to tapin and or what shoud look or wachout for....or if any website give that info. I tried "Crimestopper" but they...............SUCK!
    I do have some knowledge of electronics. Thanx for your help!!!!!!!

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Do you need the color codes for the unit or the truck.
    I can get you the info on the truck side if you still need it.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the truck side wire colors.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have installed about 8 of these units on all different types of cars and trucks including my F350 Diesel.

I always recommend using the tach hookup as opposed to the voltage sensing setting. (it tends to overrun the starter)

Power locks can be tricky to hook up sometimes (depends on your model) you have to cut a couple of wires and add a few relays.

As far as the install goes they are pretty simple to put in once you have identified the wire colors.

I would recommend using a 12V test light to pierce the insulation of the wire and confirm the wire function before you splice into it.

Follow the manufactures programming guide for initialization and you shouldn't have any problems.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

This *may* be a link for a service manual for a 97

Service Manual

5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

What About waiting before starting? I was Told putting a remote on diesel was not smart

6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Most models now have a mode for diesel.
    Some use a programmable time delay.
    Others like the model I have on my diesel hooks up to the wait to start wire.
    It turns the ignition to run and then waits for the light to go out before cranking the engine.

There are many advantages to having one of these units installed.

You can get models which control your power locks for keyless entry.

Most of them have a feature that lets you take the keys out of the ignition while the truck is running and shuts the truck down after the programmed time runs out, if you don't come back.
    Which is helpful for turbo cool down or a quick trip to the bathroom.

Some models have a feature that starts the truck when the battery runs down to charge the battery. (good for if you leave the dome light on).

Others have an internal thermometer that senses when it is getting cold outside, and will start your truck up and run it for 10 or more minutes every couple of hours. (great for when you have no where to plug it in)

And many other great features.

Once you have one you won't want to go without.

And with a do it yourself cost of under $100 or less (for a base model) you can't go wrong.

7. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Thanx for everyones help!!
    I just installed it and already I love It!
    The only thing that I notice is that sometimes she's over-cranking for about a 1-2 sec., but most of the time have no problem. I used only 1 ignition wire (one on the firewall pass. side) maybe that caused a little delay on starter release since the connection is little far and manufacture recommended not to increase the length of wire. Any other ideas? I could not find a 2nd ignition, but I am happy with one running!!!
    Thanx, to ALL!!!!!

8. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

aNYONE have truck wire colors/functions list for a 1995 2500hd diesel?

Thanks!

9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

ALEX516
    Send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I will send them over to you.