1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote start and block heater usage on a '13 6.7

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JustJeff, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I just had my block heater cord installed. Hadn't plugged it in at all for the first three years I owned it. Anyway, the mechanic/friend of mine that installed it is a diesel mechanic (big trucks, not pickups), but he told me not to use my remote start when it's plugged in. He gave me a reason, but I forgot what it was. Anybody else have any knowledge about this? Don't want to damage my engine ya know!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

it says on the cord, that even a 6yr old could have installed,Thumbs Up
    to unplug it for one minute before starting.

the the rub is, when the element is hot small bubbles can form on it and when the fluid passes buy it causes cavitation around the element.
    resulting in pitting that can shorten the block-heaters life.

it could take years for this to become an issue that would require replacement of the element.

it can happen on any engine/ blockheater be it gas or diesel.

3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Well that's good to know. I was under the impression that when you hit the remote start it switched off the heating element. Obviously since it's warm it doesn't take a minute for the pre heat to cycle before starting. Glad I know now.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The only control for off or on of the blockheator is what you plug it into.( like a timer)

It could never be an issue, or it could require replacing prematurely.
    It's no diffrent on a gasser.

Just a fyi and a cya for the mfg and owner.

Ps I've used remote starters on vehicles that are pluged in. Haven't really experienced any issues.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I too have used my block heaters with remote start... My heater cord has been the only thing that has ever gone bad... but that is my experience.

Anymore, with the tighter compression, unless it is like 30 below, I don't plug in my truck at all. Start it up, let it chatter for a few seconds, and away you go.