1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remote Pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by grassguy123, Jan 19, 2011.

1. grassguy123

grassguy123 Junior Member
    from NJ

Is there anyone out there that uses google earth to price out snow plowing. I have a customer that is a little bit far away. big parking lot. and i dont feel like driving all the way up there to price them out. i dont even know if they are serious

2. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Then how are you going to feel when you have to drive on snow covered roads with traffic to plow them? I always drive out to price a job.

3. grassguy123

grassguy123 Junior Member
    from NJ

We store equipment on big sites and hire 1 person to operate

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Goiplow or Goilawn are what I've used for this purpose to give a ballpark price and screen the potential Client. But when it comes down to it, I always prefer to see the property first hand.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I use goilawn to measure sites, but always visit in person. You never know what tractor trailers, sea containers, additions or changes are made to a site with a photo that could be years old. Here's an example Google earth has a date stamp in the bottom left corner of the image, the one for my home was taken in 2007, there was a large excavator on site then doing septic work, it's visible in the picture, along with a large disturbance area. First time I saw the house in August 2009 there was a lawn there and would never have known illegal septic work took place, luckily this .worked out well for me, but the opposite is just a possible.

I use acreage as my guide in pricing, but most often find details that I'd have missed that add to my estimate over what I see on the aerial.

6. adan

adan Member

I have used google maps/streets before to confirm an actual address of a customer/lot

7. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yup. You can use those sites to get some measurements to help you determine the size of the lot, salt usage, timing and so forth. But you need to go to the site to view it. A lot of those photos are 3 years old if not older. That way you can get a feel for the lot, see where the curbs are, where to place the snow. Plus, you need to go up there anyways to stake it out.