1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reminder- close in person and ask questions when you lose a bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mnlefty, Sep 19, 2011.

1. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Nothing new or fancy here just a reminder to sell in person or at least have some live contact over the phone or whatever whenever you can. No matter how well you explain the details in your contracts/bids/proposals, some people still won't always "get it". And if you don't get a bid, it's ok to ask follow up questions to figure out why. Happened to me today, here's the story.

I have a lawn care company, about 120 customers, and we just started snow removal last year (my first with the company). This year we sent snow proposals to ALL customers, not just those that asked for a quote.

Had a reply back via email saying he liked our service, but just couldn't justify paying double what he paid to his previous plower, who he hasn't been happy with. Now we have our 1" trigger, our service plan and all the details explained in the proposal... but like I said, some won't get it.

I replied back asking the necessary questions... 1" trigger, full drive including circle, shoveling, etc...

Turns out he does the sidewalk shoveling himself, and his previous snow contract was for 3" in a 24 hour period, however he didn't read things close enough to realize the differences, just skimmed it to the bottom line. Upon further investigation/explanation it was an easy sell and we'll be doing it.

Bottom line, again it's nothing new just a reminder... simply giving a quote or submitting a bid does not replace SELLING your service.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good job on the followup,but one inch on a driveway,I think your going to pull your hair out.

3. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Pretty standard in the area I work in... we ran 1" last year and it wasn't too bad. We don't necessarily start when there's an inch on the ground. If it looks to be a semi-defined time period of snow we wait until the snow ends, and then have 8 hours to finish the route after snow ends. If 4"+ or light snow for 12 hrs or more is expected we go out to run through the route by 7am or 5pm, whichever makes sense... most write their contracts similar around here. So we're not out clearing every inch as it falls.

We had 2 snows around 18" last year and each time I ran the routes for 24-30 hrs straight, about 3.5 times through, and we were heroes compared to much of the competition.

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Good Advice

5. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Nice job on the follow up and landing the contract!:drinkup: