1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Remember Change Oil More Often

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Nov 23, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If your truck does a lot of idel time like most plow trucks, remember to change your oil more often. Once the winter kicks into gear, we may change the oil as often as once a month in our smaller trucks. The bigger ones have hour meters so we know exactly when to change the oil.

Geoff

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Good Point Geoff. Idling as well as those stop and starts and high torque pushing runs is hard on the oil. We change ours multiple times during the winter. While it is in all fluids and every nut, bolt, and light is checked. Safety and maintainence is critical.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Also... make sure you are using the right weight oil. For example, I believe most Chevy trucks require 5W-30... anything thicker and it's not getting where it's supposed to.

While we're on general maintenance, don't forget about tire pressure. Once you hang the plow on the front, and start throwing weight in the rear, you'll want to up the pressure in your tires to help the truck handle better, and prevent blow outs.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The only reason 5w30 is recommended for GM built gas engines is to meet CAFE. If you read the owners manual closely you see 10w30 is also recommended (and preferred if you expect that 350 to hit 200k).

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually... 5W-30 is recommended for winter. And I have actually been told (by several mechanics, and some GM techs) that heavier weight oils will not make it through some of the tight clearances in their motors. Whether or not it's true, I don't know. But I'm going to stick with 5W-30.

6. Randy J

Randy J Junior Member

I'm with thelawnguy, the only reason the manufacturer is recommending such light weight oil is for fuel mileage. Used to be 20W50, or 10W40 oil was the norm, now it's 5W30, or even 0W30. Of course lighter weight oil will help with start ups in cold weather. I'd highly recommend a good synthetic oil. You would get better start up protection, and the oil would retain the higher viscosity properties better when warm.

Randy

7. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

If you have any new gmc or chevy trucks they too have an hour meter. with the key off push and hold the trip odometer reset for about 10 seconds and the odometer will read hours... At least this is on my 99 and newer, new body syle trucks.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am with Tim, I beleive the closer tolerances are at play. The oil is a multi viscosity, so the 30 weight end of the equation is the same. Its the 5 weight side that the engine needs for proper lubrication.
    Dino

9. casey

casey Banned

Are you running a synthetic 5W30 in your trucks & blowers or have you found it too costly & unnecessary?
    Was thinking of switching everything (2 stages & trucks) over to Mobil 1 5W30 but there would be a more than slight cost difference over the coarse of the season.

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

And don't forget to change the oil more frequently in your car during the winter if you only use it for short trips to the store. If the engine doesn't reach operating temps for a sustained amount of time, it doesn't "burn off" the condensation that forms inside the engine and settles in the oil pan.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

During the winter I change more on the hours as oppose to mileage on the truck.

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview .... Ive been waiting 11 years for a reply

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview seems to be spending some time back in 2001. Must be trying to feel young again.

14. wewille

wewille Senior Member

According to Ford for every one hour of idle time equates to 25 or 33 miles of driving...

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've also been waiting 11 years for more info to be posted in this thread.

16. grandview

Wow,all your truck oil must be mud by now waiting for an answer as to what to do.

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Have you been stuck under your truck for 11 years?

18. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

I fell asleep under my truck while fixing it one time. :mechanic:

19. grandview

Living up north I don't even like to look under my truck.:realmad:

20. grandview

[​IMG]