1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reliability of a '91 western pro?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Evan528, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I am currently considering the purchase of a 1991 f-250 with a '91 western pro plow. My question is how reliable are the componets of a early western like this? I will need to make my desision soon so help would really be appreciated! Evan

2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Evan528,
    Is this one of the unimount style plows or is it the old / behind the bumper style. I don't recall which were in use in 91. I had an 88 F250 with a 7.5 Western Pro. I had no problems with it. I kept it until 2000 when I sold it for a new F250. I think the real answer is that the plow unit itself wopuld be fine, if it had the proper maintenance. If not, it may be a piece of junk, only you can tell.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

91 early thats a good one

i have a tag on my western that dates it back to 1973 as the install date. it still has the original motor on the pump. the old joystick was replaced a year or so ago. i have replaced the quick couplers and a few seals here and there but nothing major.
    you shouldnt have any problems with that unit. just do a little preventive maintanence, change oil ect.
    just check it over good if it hasn't been totally abused you should be alright.

good luck
    Mark K

4. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

I have a 91' F250 with a 91' pro-plow...mine is the unimount one...no real problems so far...the only thing that I had a problem with is my cylinder froze up...but all it ended up being is a bad seal....like I said no real problems not to bad to work on either...I do all my mechanic work myself...That is J. Henderson in the back ground...I also do the work on his truck too...

pdc_0012.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2002
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Western plows themselves from that period are fine, the determining factor in your case will be the care the unit has received during it's life - in both maintenance and use. If you know the history of the plow & truck, that helps.

If not, look for things like rust/pitting on the cylinder rams, cracking/bending/dents etc on the A-frame, mounts & moldboard, damage and/or overall deterioration of hydraulic hoses & fittings, and overall appearance of the paint. Find out how often the hydraulic fluid has been changed - a response along the lines of "Changed? :confused: Whaddaya mean?" may be a sign to shop elsewhere! :D

If it's in decent shape and has been looked after, it should serve you well.

6. Evan528

BTW, this guy wants 3500 for the truck and plow. Ran great, nice paint job. I feel this is a great deal! Keep the comments coming though. I am just a little bit uneasy about having a 10 year old plow.

7. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

3500 is reasonable for the truck...the truck by itself is worth it...Like my picture above......I have one...and it doesn't give me any problems...just make sure you change the fluid in the plow and cylinders and check hoses and other fittings...If it was closer then Penn. I would have to check it out...maybe I would buy it.

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

In all honesty, I'm more worried about the 10-year old truck as opposed to the plow, especially if it's been pushin' snow for those 10 years.

Do you know the history of the truck/plow at all? If it's in good shape, that $ figure sounds reasonable, make sure you get it checked out thoroughly first though!!!

"Transmission" is one area I'd be especially keen on having checked out. As well, is it a recent paint job?

I don't want to come across as sounding t-o-o negative, I'd just hate to see you end up with expen$ive repair$ and the assosciated down time.

9. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

Very well put 75.......Evan528 make sure you take it to your local mechanic to check everything out.....

10. Evan528

Truck had 120,000 miles on it. Tranny was rebuilt about 20k ago. Paint job is the orignial but in good shape! It has been plowing for 10 years but we do not get very much snow a year here out side of Philadelphia.

11. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

Did they plow more than just a couple of drives or did they plow a bunch of lots? I bought my truck this year and it had the plow on it, the guy I bought it from only plowed his and his parents drives with it....and my tranny was just rebuilt right before I got it..

12. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Hey Evan,
    I noticed you are from my area. I'd be happy to help you look at the truck. Give me a call.

John