1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Relays

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Lowes, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I bought a Boss 7'6" straight blade that was on a 93 Dodge.
    I will be putting it on a 03 F250.
    I have the wiring harness off the old truck. It does not include any relays. It has a toggle switch for the headlights. I bought a headlight adapter for my truck. What is the deal with relays? Do I need one?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your toggle switch is the 6 pin style then your harness is the old style 11 pin harness.It doesn't use any relay's for the headlights.

3. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

Thanks, that is what I could not figure out. It is an older boss RT3 hitch with 11 pin harness. I downloaded the install manual from the boss website. It had a relay included the diagram.
    How would the relay work on the newer harness?
    Would you not have a 6 pin toggle switch?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right,on your harness with the 6 pin switch all the head light wire's for the truck and plow go through the switch. On the newer relay system the toggle only has two wire's.The switch just turn's the relay's on and off for the plow and the truck. Less wire's through the firewall that way and the relay's isolate the truck from the plow light's.

5. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I can see where some trucks having more wires throught the firewall would be a PITA.
    I lucked out to find that my Ford has a large removal plastic piece. I was able to feed all the wires in. Having a toggle doesn't bother me at all. A relay should not go bad, but keeping it basic always seams like a good rule.
    Thanks for the help. I just finished the wiring of the truck. Lights work so I'm happy. Now to get the undercarrige painted and put on.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help bud, if you want the diagram for the 11 pin non relay harness just for future reference, let me know and I'll email it to ya.

7. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I guess I downloaded the 13 pin harness from the boss website.
    I have all the electrical connection made. It's pretty straight foward when I get my hands on it. I will try to download the 11 pin diagram from boss to add to my libary of manuals.
    On the manual it said to mount the solenoid vertical. I have gas F250. I had two perfect holes to mount the solenoid on the passenger fender next to the battery. Will putting solenoid sideways hurt anything?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ideally they should be mounted vertically since their better sealed from the element's that way but if their in a dry spot they should be fine.A little dielectric grease on the connector's would be a good idea.

9. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

It is mounted out of the way. It is located in the same spot the diesel trucks put there solenoid. I did use a little fluid flim on the contacts before putting the wires on.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, they'll be good where they are then.That spot is protected pretty good from the element's.