1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Relay system diode

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fabcraftinc, Oct 31, 2012.

1. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

Does anyone have a relacement (or source) for the small diode used in Western's relay systems Pn#26078? Not exactly sure if this is the correct number. I think a similar one is also used in HB1& HB 5 lights, too..It is a small one on one of the relay jumper wires kit #64077. I am looking at HB3/4 lights on a 2003 Chevy 2500. I do not need the DRL's to work. Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You should be able to go to any electronics shop and just tell them what you need it for and they will be able to provide one. Here in Canada I would go to Radio Shack or Cardinal Electronics supply. They will just ask what voltage it must tollerate and you tell them it's for a 12 Volt system. They will probably give you one good for 20 Volts and about 100 milliamps. (1/10 amp)

3. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

Thank you. Going deeper into the topic. Can you guess what would happen if that diode was not there? I have never seen a bad one. I am going to stare at my skematics and see if anything clicks in my brain!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The diode prevents the low beam plow light power from back feeding through the relay to the trucks DRL when the plow is connected. Without it, you'll have DRL's on both the truck and plow simultaneously. Not disastrous but not usually wanted either.

If you don't wish or care for DRL's just omit everything in the plug in harness pertaining. The relay, the jumpers to it and the module. You're then basically wired like a non-DRL HB3/HB4 harness.