1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Relay Stuck on

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nate456789, Dec 14, 2009.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I just changed my power cables to the pump for heavier ones.
    Now my plow power relay stay on until my headlights turn off.
    I also have the main connector connected to the truck. I also noticed the hand controller won't power off when it is doing this.

I watch the relay contacts with an ohm meter and it is closed until the headlight relay shuts the headlights on the truck off then the relay opens up again.

everything worked fine before I changed out the the power cables. I did have to tie wrap a bunch of wires back up. Could I have knocked something loose?

Thanks

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Could be...........When I worked as a apprentice mechanic in a GM dealership the head mechanic would always look for something he might of done to create another problem. Reverse your steps. Could it be that the heavier guage cables are doing something to offset the controls or did a wire get disconnected when it was restrapped.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you sure you didn't reverse a wire or two?

4. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Has anybody extracted the pins on the 13 pin truck side connector before? I can not find any posts on it.

It appears that my connector my be suffering from a run away drill bit.. I think the marker lights are injecting 12v into the same wire used to turn on the relay when the tower switch is on.
    I pulled the wires out a little from the back of the connector and everything it working now.
    But it is not giving me the warm fuzzies.
    I need to see how bad it really is. I would rather fix it now than in a storm.

Has anyone replaced the 13 pin connector before? I really don't like this connector. It does not have a positive lock to it.
    I was thinking of a mil spec type connector that actually locks and is weather tight. Anybody have any recommendations that are not too expensive?
    Thanks

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can get repair ends for that harness.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You won't find any posts on it Nate because they are not removable. If they come out of the molded rubber housing, the connector is shot.

As Basher already mentioned there is a repair end for it. P/n MSC04753. Should run you around $50 or so. Easy to replace.

Not too many brands out there that are positive locking. It's tough to find a positive lock weather tight connector thats designed to be connected and disconnected as many times as is needed in a plow application. Most are only designed to be connected once and left as is. So they tend not too last very long.

7. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well I am trying to decide if I want to splice on the new connector for $40
    or buy a new harness for $80.
    The drill slipped as I was mounting the Anderson connector that B&B and I talked about.
    It barely nicked the boot so I didn't think anything about it.

B&B one good thing about it I was able to put 1 gauge wire from the alternator all the way
    to the pump motor. That solved the original problem that we talked about.
    The lights barely flickr now when running the plow and it's faster. Even when the voltage drops to
    12v.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear the cable upgrade fixed your speed issue Nate. Thats what it's all about. :drinkup:

$80 for a whole harness? Used I'd assume as a new one is $200.

9. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Salt in the wounds - I looked closer and it was the plow side harness.
    http://centralparts.com/ProductDetails3455.aspx.

Your right - that bad boy is expensive http://centralparts.com/ProductDetails3454.aspx.
    Looks like I will be splicing my harness with this one
    http://store.besttruckeq.com/bocoharekitv.html

Here is a picture of why it happened - I was in a hurry to finish it up and didn't take 2 min and pull the connector out. I usually don't make bone head moves like that.
    [​IMG]

Pictures of the 1 gauge conversion:

Pump side:
    [​IMG]

Truck side :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a clean job Nate congrats. Except for the drill bit part of course. :D

Is that a hose to fitting connection leaking on the pump, or just spilled fluid?

11. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I gave everything a good coating of Fluid Film while I was in there.:salute:

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The "Bear" most certainly helps things as well. I hate to see them on vehicles,:angry: cuts into my mid-night service money:rolleyes:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats why it's nice to have plenty of "yellows" around. payup :D