1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Relay Help ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rolandpell, Mar 1, 2004.

1. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

I'm working on my plow truck and I put the rear window down on my 4runner 86 and now when I try to put it back up it don't go up and there is a clicking sound in the side of the truck .The book says there is a power window relay and I found it but I don't know how to tell if the relay is gone or not can someone help by telling me how to tell if the relay is gone . PLEASE HELP !!!:confused:
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Check the rear wiper. It must be properly parked in order for the rear glass to go up or down.
  3. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

The wiper is parked . The window went down and up 3 or 4 times then wouldn't do it any more . The window had just been replaced after almost 2 years . Thats why I'm wondering if it could be the relay . I'm not sure how to tell if a relay is good or bad it just clicks , I can hear that .
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Relays usually fail and stop working or fuse and try to run all of the time until you disconnect them.
    Are you sure that you are hearing a relay clicking?
    Does the dome light get dim when you operate the switch?
    Does the glass start moving then stop? (stuck)

Maybe you are hearing a circuit breaker clicking because the window is jamming and it's overloading the circuit.
  5. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

The window is not jamming it worked for a couple of times then stopped . Nothing gets dim when I click the switch I put my hand on the relay and clicked the switch and felt it and I could feel the click
  6. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

The weird part is that I could not use the switch at first and did not work so I put a new switch and still didn't work . Then I used the key in the back and it worked then I was able to check the switch and it moved the window then I checked the key again and went up about 4 inches and stopped and I only here clicking now and sounds like it wants to move but nothing .
  7. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Can you pull out the relay?
    Do you hear the click after you pull it out? (wrong relay)
    Does it have 2 or 4 terminals?
    Any identifying marks (30A)?
  8. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Usually power windows are controlled by a reversing switch and are fed power thru a circuit breaker in the fuse box.

Not sure on your setup but it probably does not use a relay.

If the switch that you replaced had 6 big wires on it then you would not have a relay operating the window unless you have some kind of lockout setup (eg. can't run the window while the truck is in gear) the relay would be installed to cut power while in gear.

I'm guessing that you are hearing the circuit breaker clicking and not a relay.

The circuit breaker would have 2 terminals on it and be plugged in under the hood in a electrical distribution block or be located with the fuses under the dash in the fuse panel.

A relay would have at least 4 terminals 2 big wires to cary power to the motor and 2 small wires to turn on the relay.
  9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Did you have the gate open during the try's. Wires going to the motor can get shorts from the flexing of the loom between body and gate or door. Put a test light on the wire from the relay going to the motor. You might want to pick up a manual for your truck so you have a wiring diagram(library or auto parts store) and a Haynes Automotive Electrical Manual. If it's a four post relay, you'd have one wire going to motor, one from the switch, one from a power source and one to ground. If you can get the door liner off and check the motor after trying to run it, It may have seized from rust or corrosion and feel warm to touch. I don't know your set up. Something in the drive mechanism may have broken, not the motor or relay. But I guess your not hearing the motor run. You can have someone flex the wires a little while you operate the switch, which might help you find if you have a broken wire in the loom.
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Have someone push on corner of tailgate as you operate window. As a previous owner of same vehicle and same problem I took panel off tailgate and removed motor for testing. You get alot of corrosion in the tailgate. Check switch on side of tailgate as well as key switch. Be prepared to find window runners corroded and jamming window travel. After cleaning and repair whack the grease to it. Good luck.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  11. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If I am not mistaken the rear power window control relay is mounted in the center console, not under the dash.
  12. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

Thanks everyone I got it fixed this morning . The plug that plugs into the motor got moved when the window moved and broke the connector so I unpluged it and reconnected it without placing it back in and it worked . So with everyones help I isolated the problem and fixed it . Thanks everyone you are all the best .