1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Relay Block Buzzing-plow won't work, brain bending!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Jakedaawg, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

So, the whole story....

Had problem with door lock. Took trim panel of inside of drivers door and fixed lock. Went to back out of shop and plow wont work.

In the begining I had nothing, couldn't get controller to light up, nothing.

I checked all fuses, cleaned all grounds with a wire brush. After doing so my controller now has power. The relay block is buzzing. Have tried swapping relays with known good relays, no change. The plow lights will come on but the truck lights do not go completely off, they just dim. Still no plow operation.

Due to the relay block buzzing, and having already chased grounds, I am wondering if I am getting insufficient power to relays. I have twelve volts at the power lead to relays but no idea how much under load.

Any suggestions?

While hoping for responses I will be cleaning all + terminals.

Thanks in advance for any time you all spend pondering this, it's frying my brain.

2013 Boss V-XT on Gmc 2500 HD
  2. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

So, all terminal ends have been replaced. Main solenoid replaced. Relay pack terminals cleaned. No change, pack still buzzing, plow wont work.

3. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I think I have it narrowed down to the harness or plug in that goes to controller. By wiggleing this harness I can make buzzing stop and everything works.

Are these pins in the connector "Amphenol" pins?
  4. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

What year is the truck? I agree 100% that it's brain frying!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Well, After banging my head for several hours I put a different controller on and while plugging it in the buzzing stopped and everything worked.

The black + wire at terminal 1 in the 9 pin connector Truck side had an issue. I isolated that wire and found it to have high ohms. The "Fix" was to replace that wire. Took all day to find but saved a bill or two in the long run. I have more time than money this time of year.