1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Relay and solenoid questions.

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Tahoe99, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Just to be prepared for small things to break (to some extend) I want to keep spare solenoid and realy in the truck. Now, I saw on the web the relay ,tall black plastic thing with 2 large posts, and 2 small listed as a solenoid ??? What is what then ? Also, what is the black plastic "square" on the positive lead coming straight from + batt ?

Besides dealer, what is a good source for those parts ?

Thanks all

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What you are describing here would be the 12 volt motor solenoid. The relay would be for the plow lighting system and should be mounted under the hood of the vehicle. The black plastic square would be an in line circuit breaker. Your local dealer would be your best source for service parts.

Happy Holidays,

3. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Thanks Tom so it is the motor solenoid, and the circuit breaker (makes sense since the position of it). Is the braker reset-able type or replacable ?

4. toby4492

The circuit breaker is thermal and will reset itself.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

solenoid

Just remember the solenoid is not resetable and it only controls the 12 volt motor that runs the plow. Definatley keep a spare solenoid and they can be gotten at an auto parts store alot cheaper then your plow dealer The circuiy breaker runs the lights. Tim

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  6. toby4492

That is correct. The solenoid is not resetable. The relay is responsible for the lights swithching from vehicle to plow or plow to vehicle when the plow is removed. The circuit breaker is part of your power circuit as a safety measure to protect against any possible dead short in the system. It does not have anything to do with the operation of lights.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First buy a bunch of them, they aren't designed for continuous operation.
    Second I can't buy them from napa for what I sell them for.

8. hydro_37

from iowa

solenoids

Not sure what you sell them for Basher but the heavy duty solenoids are right around $15 here and they last extremely long in a snow plow. I have had mine on for 2 years and not a problem. Now that I say that I am sure it will go out next storm. lol I do commercial plowing and love the Sno-way plow. Will never use anything but them again and I have used the other brands in the past. I will say that Basher is one of the best people on the site for great information. :salute: Tim

9. hydro_37

from iowa

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah $15 is about right, funny how it works. You can buy it local for 15 but ebay wants 16.95 + 8 ship?