1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rehab or buy new??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

What do you guys do? I have a couple plows that I need to do somthing with and i am torn. Both plow snow fine, both leak a bit of fluid, and both need repainted. Neither are close to new, nor do they look it, but neither have any rot or broken welds. BUT....for the cost of a new one I could rebuild both and then some:drinkup:

I would like new, but can't see getting rid of these.

Would you guys upgrade or rehab?

I know every situation is different, but what would you do?

Bossman

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I rehabbed mine this past summer. I looked at new, and decided for half the cost of 1 new plow, I can re-do what I have, and know what I've got. The new plows are getting more expensive, and they are building the cheaper and cheaper every year. As long as I can get parts for what I have, I will run it till it's dead. I just can't justify going out and buying new, when what I have works perfectly fine. Besides this year was the best year I have had in terms of breaking equipment. After rebuilding and repainting 4 plows, I only spent 300 dollars on repair items. Pretty good year for having all older equipment.

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

keep them running!

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

keep them running ... x3

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I figured. As long as my old plow works, it will make me as much money as a new plow, With the money I save I can afford to buy a used plow to keep for a back up.

Thanks Bossman

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I wish that was the case here, smoked one transmissin, had one operator bend up both side plates on a one pusher, now I bring back another pusher that WAS brand new last fall, went from Protec to our site. It now has two good dents from hitting stuff, operator ran it so un level that back of the shoes is almost worn away & lower coupler mounts are all missing about 2-3 inches of the bottom corner :angry: Everytime I was out there & he was working I politly but firmly told him he needed to make sure the pusher was level...never listened aparantly. Ill be looking for someone else for next year. I fired another idiot back in December that was supposedly a capable CDL salt truck driver, he wasnt...needless to say. Typlical for us hire 3 guys one works out other two are nearly worthless. Wish I could figure out a way to get guys to tell the truth of what they are capable of. In this business we really dont have a good way to screen employees, till it snows, then your worried about getting the work acomplished. Im way off topic again, sorry.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Just rebuild what you have, gotta get the most out of your investment. Like others have said, costs for new is going up and being cheaper made.