1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

regular duty 1998 Cheyene 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RodPhillips, May 25, 2001.

1. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

I recently purchased a 1998 Cheyene 1500 regular duty pickup. It replaces a car that died and a 68 Scout that finally gave up the ghost. I plow my own driveway and may 1 other to help a neighbor. I decided to combine both vehicles into 1. I am thinking of putting a Meyer plow (with a poly blade) on the 1500. What should I consider modifying on the 1500 to handle the plow? I was thinking of the "quick mount" plow so that I would not be carrying around the plow and only have it on the truck when I am actually plowing (a very limited amount of time).
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Rod, I assume you are getting a Poly plow, to cut down on weight. Actually, the Meyer poly plow, is heavier than a steel one. This is because the poly is weaker structurally, so they have to make the steel frame stronger. If you are looking to keep weight down, I suggest a Sno Way lexan plow.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If you're looking to keep weight down, go look at Sno-Way plows. Light enough that I run 8' plow son S-10s.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

First thing to add is load boosters to help handle the weight. Next is a tranny cooler if its an auto, and change all the fluids.I had a friend that plowed with a 95 for 5 yrs and never had a problem with his 1/2 tonner.
    If you go with a stel blade or ploy no larger than a 7.5'
  5. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

Thanks for the replys.

I contacted the Chevy dealer where the truck was originally sold, provided them with the VIN and they gave me a printout of all the options the truck was built with.

It already has the transmission cooler (found it) and has a beefed up front and rear end. Excellent!