1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Regular Cab vs. Extended

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DSLND, Dec 8, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking at trucks, both regular cabs, and extended cabs.

Regular Cab Advantages:
    -Long Bed
    -More Space for Debris/Other Stuff

-Not much room for extra stuff/people
    -I hear it's harder to plow with reg. cab

Extended Cab Advantages:
    -More room
    -Hear it's easier to plow
    -Especially with school, i can throw stuff back there, and still have the front open

-Shorter bed
    -Less room for debris, etc

I will be pulling a single-axle trailer to start off, then upgrading to an 18-20' enclsoed trailer. It will have an 8' Western plow mounted eventually, along with a tailgate spreader. Also will serve as my personal vehicle.

Heres two trucks i'm currently looking at:

Here are some pictures of two trucks i'm currently looking at:

2. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Heres another:

3. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

You will get a little extra tow capacity out of the reg cab, but not enough to make it worth getting it. Plus the ex cab appears to be a 2000, 2001 and the other is pre 99. If it's going to be your personal vehicle too, then why not get the ex cab?
  4. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thats sort of what i'm thinking.

Heres the specc. on the trucks:

Truck #1:
    -1995 Chevy 2500HD
    -89k Miles
    -Hiniker 8ft Plow
    -Asking $8900

Truck #2:
    -2001 Chevy 2500HD
    -6.0L V8
    -New Tires
    -105k Miles
    -Asking $11,500

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

get the extended cab ive got a regular cab and i HATE it it sucks when me and my friends go on hunting/fishing trips and we have to take 2 trucks and use twice as much fuel.
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I would go with the HD. It is newer and has way more towing and hauling capacity than the 2500. Make sure it has the plow prep package on it though
  7. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

if you can handle the length and you want both look into an ext. cab long bed
  8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

neither. one is too new. both are too much money. are you going to have the time to work enough to pay this back? Young person, insurance isnt cheap.

If it were me i would look for a nineties that was cheaper. pay it with cash. carry minimum liability on it and not even think about trying to insure it or register it commercial.
    your young. they charge young people ALOT.
    And your creating LOTS of bills for someone who still has to finish highschool and college.
  9. Base Model

Base Model Junior Member
    from midwest

I've never heard that before. Regular cabs usually have a smaller turning radius. I've heard that ext cabs dont have as good of rear visibility because of blind spots, but I've never driven or plowed with an ext cab before.
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I spent 8 years Daily driving and plowing a regular cab like your first picture. I didn't really know much better so I made due with having crap stacked up everywhere in the regular cab. Last spring I bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins Quad Cab and the amount of cab space is irreplaceable. It's not bad at all to plow with.

In my opinion, it's worth the bit of extra length to get all of the dry storage of an extended cab.
  11. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks Guys! I'm taking the extended cab truck for a drive tomorrow.

For whom in concerns: I will be paying cash for my vehicle, and yes i do work enough to pay for a vehicle. I make a lot of money in landscaping (company is 60% maintenance, 40% landscaping). Once i get my license, i can do a lot more work, especially when it comes to snow removal. I plan on putting an 8' Western on the truck i purchase, and a salt spreader as well.

Not being an ass, just clarifying some details.

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

The extended cabs of that era are 10" longer than regular cabs (which is to say the combo of ext cab/short bed vs reg cab/long bed). Slightly longer wheelbase, and slightly wider turning radius, but for most driveways it has never made that much difference. I've used and enjoyed both. I see far more advantages for the extended cab. Build a box for the 6.5 bed, and you'll haul the same volume of leaves/debris.
  13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have owned both and really like the extra room a ext cab give's you. As far as plowing a ext cab is a little harder to plow with cause of the turning raduis. Hands down to me its a ext cab.

Good Luck Mike
  14. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I just got a 2002 2500HD extended cad with 95K on it and i payed $9500.00
    I would say that 01 HD is priced high
  15. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with the price being high.

Mitch, your not old enougth to drive, but you have made enought last summer mowing to pay cash for a 12k truck? Truck + Title +tax+ plates, your in the mid 12's Pluse your looking close to $300 month for full coveage if not more. Not trying to bash you, just clearing things, up if your doing the good at mowing, Thats Great, your see my trucks in your town come spring
  16. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I agree with you.
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Reg cabs hands down are better for snow but the EC is better for year round use. I love the look of a reg cab, it's like driving a car after driving my CC.
  18. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I love my ext cab. it is so useful because you have space to put things without filling up the front seat. you can have stuff in the back and still have the passenger seat open. just make sure you will be able to pay for all the costs that come with having a truck.

Ron- why are your trucks going up to illinois in the spring?
  19. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

Thanks for the replys.

I have been mowing for about four years. First two were in a partnership:nono::dizzy:
    Then in 2006 i got out on my own (very good choice) and really got going. I basically had to start over but i was successful. This past season was by far the best. I do have enough in the bank to pay for most of a truck, parents are helping out a little by being fair and giving me the same amount of money they gave my brother to get his truck, so that will help. This isn't just a summer "mow and go" for me. I started in mid-March, and I am still doing clean ups, once the snow melts. I maintenanced about twenty five properties per week, and saved a lot of that money, a long with some from 2006.

I do agree the truck is mildly overpriced, but its better than what i've seen. I went and test drove a 1998 Chevy K2500 w/98k miles, and they wanted $13k. I offered $6500 and never heard back. Kelly Blue Book says for private party value of "good condition" that its worth about $10k. But we are heading up to take it for a drive today, and compare it to the regular cabs.

20. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Mitch I think Id wait to get a truck till you can drive