1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Regular cab to extended cab...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rob_cook2001, Jan 23, 2016.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Kind of a stupid question but I have always plowed with a regular cab long bed and am ordering a new truck. I really need a long box but would love a little extra room inside. The maneuverability of the regular cab is great and it worry's me that after I plow in the extended cab long bed I will hate it.. How many people have plowed in both? Either regular cab or extended cab will be a new f350 long bed diesel.
    Thank you
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Not a huge deal. You'll give up a little bit of turning radius and maneuverability, but nothing terrible.
  3. PPP

PPP Member

You will find traction to be hugely affected on uneven surfaces more so then the regular cab. I went from a regular cab to an extended cab F250. That extra foot or so in length really affected the dynamics of traction. I find myself using much more weight in the bed.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer to plow with my extended cab. More comfortable
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Extend can short bed?
  6. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

It's non-issue except for tight turns. The extra weight and room is a bonus.
  7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I use a crew cab with a short (6.5') bed and cap. It works. Obviously a shorter truck would be more manuverable, but you'll get used to it after a bit.
  8. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

The question I would be asking myself is do I have the room to maneuver a longer truck on the sites I plow?
  9. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Everybody likes the extended cab. Not for passengers my case just for the room, extra clothes, boots, jump box, small air compressors, blue prints, paperwork etc. and still have room for one passenger. However the extended cab with 8FT box are to long, We call them freight trains. The extended cab with 6' box are okay. You see when your looking for a truck you will see less on the lot as they are becoming less desirable to most company's and the public in general. JMO
  10. We have a reg cab Chevy and its great turns sharp, has a front and Daniels plows on it. We also have a ex cab f250 great plow truck but does not turn as sharp but that is because its leaf springs. I have a 08 f450 with a 8.5 western and 16 foot ebling and it can get it to some tight spots. So I would go with the ex cab and not look back. All the new ones have coil springs and turn sharp
  11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

That's a good point re: the suspension. My plow truck is a 2006 F350 cc that has a large turning radius. I also have a 2011 F350 with the changed front suspension that has a much tighter turning radius than the 2006. So.....the newer Fords (2011 and later I think) do turn tighter than the older ones.
  12. rob_cook2001

Thanks everyone.. And yes, if I go with the extended cab it will be a long box. There is no doubt in my mind that the extended cab will be able to plow everything that I need to plow. Just wondering if it will drive me nuts doing so lol. A sub of mine plows in a 2015 crew cab long box dually, after buying a regular cab as a back up truck he hates plowing in his crew cab.
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I enjoy plowing drives/lots with my "fright train" not everyone can Handel
    A longer rig.

Yes yes, it very tight quarters it mey be more enjoyable
    For some to use a smaller rig.
  14. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I don't blame him, This is a very long unit with plow on. You know what you need and want. Just be aware you will not be able to park in a average parking spot unless you got a lot of space to maneuver. Plowing straight runs it won't mean anything. Why do you feel you need a 8FT box ? Spreader, Lumber, tools, personal preference etc.
  15. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

I don't plow with my truck, but have an an extended cab (quad) long box. Half ton dodge. I need it, so I have it. Get what you need and you will learn to deal with it. The only ford I've driven that was extended cab long box was a dually. That thing didn't turn too well, but I think the extra wheel caused it to turn wider. I have gotten used to my longer truck, but it gets annoying how to pass up spots when trying to park, because I can't turn in to it.

Get what you need year round, you'll learn to live with it while your plow. Unless it's only a plow truck, then I would get the shortest you can.
  16. 2005STX

2005STX Member

I noticed this when switched. Miss my reg cab
  17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would have thought the longer wheelbase would give better overall traction...?

I am in this same predicament. I WANT an ex cab long bed....but my driveways and such are tighter than a nun's lips. It will replace the 15 reg cab, which carries the 9-6 V and the 1.8 yard sander...
    If I thought the sander would fit and work ( weight distribution) in the shorter bed, I would make due with that...
  18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

A 2017? That is my goal. Aluminum, stronger underpinnings, more capacities & capabilities, and rumors say 1000 fpt from the next gen powerstroke....what's not to love.
  19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Lot of people have poly casters in the short beds.
    I have had a eclb and now have a reg cab. It's easier obviously in a shorter truck, I miss the extended sometimes. If it's what you need it's what you need you'll learn to live with it.
    I'm switching to a crew cab short bed soon which I think is about the same length as an ec lb.
  20. rob_cook2001

I will be buying a 2016.. I want to give the new body a dew years before I buy one.. I need a long bed because with a short box once I put a tool box and 100gal transfer tank in it there is no more bed left lol