1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Regret Buying Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by slade, Mar 5, 2008.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

I don't know if I would say that I regret buying my 810, however I am definately not impressed with it. I bought it in December 07. When I buy a plow for $5500 I assume everything with fit together just right(I assembled it) and I am not going to have any issues with it--I was wrong. :( Where to start. Problems while pitting it together--1.- The 2 pins that connect the blade to the frame would not go in. When looking in the hole in the blade you could see where the holes didn't line up, there is two pieces of flat steel welded together the holes were drilled first then when they welded the pieces together the holes did not line up. So I had to reem the holes out. 2--Light bar did not fit in bracket had bend arms. 3-- One of the straight fittings that go into the pump was not drilled all the way through. No hole at all. So I drilled it out and cleaned it out real good. I am glad I didn't put the plow all together and have to try and figure out why one of the functions on the plow was not working, wait I did have to do that but it was because of a different problem. 4-- I get blade all put together and all functions work except it will not angle left. After hours and hours trying to figure it out, ended up being a stuck valve, switched left and right angle valves then would angle left but not right. Took valve out and pushed it open manually then worked fine. Other problems 5---Left wing does not fit right. In 10' straight postion it is angled back towards the truck. Inner part of wing about 3/4" gap between wing and moldboard. I have taken it apart and so has a Blizzard dealer and couldn't see where the problem is nothing appears to be bent. They put on a new wing just see if it would fit and it fit a lot better, not perfect but probably 75% better. Now I am dealing with Blizzard to see if they will give me a new wing. At this point I assume the wing was not manufactured correctly 6-- Got new cutting edges, the winged edges did not have the pins on ther outside edge like the original ones did. Blizzard dealer said they stopped putting the pins in them because they were not lining up with the holes in the wing. Sure enough I put the edges on and 1 lined up and the other did not, it wasn't even close to lining up. This is the first new plow I bought and maybe i am too picky, maybe they are all like this, I would just like to think that you buy something new (professional grade plow) everything will fit like a glove. With all that said I am very happy that it hasn't broken down on me while out plowing. I have reached the point where I am going to try and be content with it as long as it doesn't let me down in a snow storm and try to forget about all its quirks. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Thats why when you guys ***** about us dealers it makes us upset. We have bills to pay and families to feed also. We run into the same problems putting them together as you did. The pins on an 810 moldboard have always been a mother to get in. Then we are trying to finish your plow to get you to pick it up, and you show up without us calling you. Now we gotta rush and finish it, and we run into problems like you describe with the valves. Our margin of proffit is slim as it is, then add the extra time, and throw in the warranty problems with the wing that Blizzard chops in half the actual time that we worked on your plow to try and resolve your problem. Then add in my high heat bill, electric, taxes, personal property taxes, ect. and you see it is'nt a bowl of cherries. Then you get guys like me and Jerry who give up their time to help[ people on here, and you guys start dissin us. I can tell you one thing, when the plows were made in the UP of Michigan before Douglas Dynamics bought them (Western, Fisher, Blizzard) the quality control was much better. The tech department also was great, especially Johnathon, as anyone on here who spoke to him can attest. OK, I'm off my soapbox, but now some of you guys can experience what it is like behind the scenes at the dealer!! JOHN

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Come on Sharpcut 1 get off it. After a couple years hanging around here i've learned, according to these guys dealers are all over priced, any of these guys can do the same thing a dealer can, in their sleep. And if you forget and suggest perhaps they need to take it to a dealer one of them will remind you how unworthy you are.

It would be easier for the dealers to all just close shop. These guys will tell you they can get everything they need on line and do it themselves. They will tell you you're just a overpriced yahoo with no special skills.

Oh but keep Plowsite up and watch it closely, don't be too slow giving free advice .:nono: or you will catch he!! and be called all kinds of &$^%#$.

So remember, you are worthless, over-priced and exist only to provide free advice to all of the guys on this site who are smarter then you.

Bow to their superior knowledge and remember your place

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

ROTFLMAO

New truck: $40K (give or take)

New Blizzard: $5500 (Actually a little more for an Erie Special)

Having experts assemble, test and install my plows: Included in above price

Having access to a dealer who can diagnose over the phone: Priceless (This actually goes with the above, but you get my drift)

I fully understand that some guys want to install their own plows so they know the 'ins and outs' of the plow, but now you actually find out what the dealers go through.

Just for grins and giggles, how many guys assemble their own mowers if they're in the mowing business? Do you assemble your own truck?

Bet that $400 or $500 or whatever the dealer wanted to charge you to assemble the plow and test it isn't looking too expensive now, is it?

PS Have you even plowed with it yet? Afterall, you bought it to plow with and not to assemble, right? So why would you regret the purchase of something that you're only going to have to do once?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  5. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

should of bought a WESTERN:gunsfiring:

6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Hi Slade - I agree with you 100% for that kind of $$$ every piece should fit together like a glove. I also assemble all my plows and found Blizzard to be the most difficult. I also just bought a Boss for my Jeep which I am going to assemble. I also bought a new Hustler Super Z in the box I am going to assemble. How do you learn how things work/mesh if your lazy and don't try to put things together yourself. I have been BASHED for not fixing my own plow in the past, but my problem is not the fixing for say its not having a garage to drive in out of the weather to fix it. So going to the dealer and driving in one of his bays and having some help in a heated garage is kinda nice. Vent.... Vent all you want Slade:waving: just be prepared to get :gunsfiring: at. Glad you had a chance to try your new plow and hope you like it.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Still got that chip on your shoulder?:confused:

funny :jester:

Homeowner or contractor.

I would think most homeowners have the dealer install their plows.
    Contractors should assemble their own plows.
    Because the dealer is not around on sat or Sun or after 5pm.
    They don't answer the phone.

Time is money and if you can repair your plow in the field and not loose any time you just saved your own azz

MarkO, There much simpler than a truck to assemble.
    much cheaper too.
    Your analogy falls short hear.

I have read that some dealers do have trouble assembling plows, there no different than the rest of us.

It's kind of like the guy who shovels his drive all winter then a big storm comes along and dumps on him. Now he is calling a plowjockey.
    He should have had the plowjockey plowing his drive all season not just when he needs a little help.
    or do you plow it and just charge a little more becuse he was not a client all ready..

It just seams dumb to cut a guy down for assembling the plow.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/friends

jmo:waving:

ps I'm not mad at you:waving:lolololol

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I had simillar problems when I installed mine. I give the dealers lots of credit. I do agree that they should go together better, but that being said it's still the best blade I've ever used. No regrets here.

10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a bunch of bs to me. i spend five k on a plow and it doesnt fit together they would be getting the pieces back and i would be getting a different brand of plow. jokers.

far as assembly it is your plow . you want to assemble it knock yourself out. you dont want to pay someone like basher to do it. I am the type that would rather not frig with it and pay a dealer and build a RELATIONSHIP of sorts with a dealer so i have someone to count on when something goes wrong. Unfortunatley they have set hours and are not as ambitious as i would like since i would love a home phone number to have to call them and have them meet me at the shop for repairs if needed. Others more mechanically inclined or ambitious may choose to be self reliant some things i am willing to pay a little extra for if i am getting the benefit of someone to rely on.
    Basher (obviously) has a chip on his shoulder. I think he feels a bit used or is broke. unlike some dealers which i wish would go out of business (i hate middle men in general) i think basher and a assorted few actually care and attempt to provide excellent service and quality work that goes beyond just the initial installation. So dont be to negative bash you do get some respect lets lose the pity chip.

11. bribrius

wah , wah, WAH,
    :rolleyes:

12. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm not asking for pity, nor do I feel used. I don't have to respond and quite often don't. I was just letting Sharpcut 1 understand that by admitting to being a Pro he opened himself up to abuse.

And since you asked, we had an excellent year. Couldn't keep units on the floor. Got so crazy I sold my personal Vee blade and salter and had to push with a straight blade:mad:

As far as not getting service work we stayed busy and parts sales are booming. I make more money selling parts then working on plows. Guys shotgun replace, keep buying solenoids to replace failed ones rather then fixing the real problem. Most can't properly check fuses if it looks good then it's got to be good:rolleyes: and spend money on switches, harnesses, headlight modules, iso modules and receivers when a good tech could have fixed it for a min. charge and a 10 amp fuse.
    Often we do after the owner gives up.

But read the posts, guys get on here begging for help so they don't have to go to the dealer. You'al check to see who the lowball supplier is on equipment and parts then Female dog about the local dealer not stocking parts or their price being to high when you show up at 9pm on a Saterday for a $8 QT of fluid.

I get the "this piece of &$^%" from the guy who did his own install and grounded it to a rubber mounted radiator support and was pi$$ed when I told him it wasn't a warranty repair or the guy that just plan didn't bother to attach the battery power harness. he called three times cursing and ranting about garbage plows and useless junk. When he brought the truck to try it on one of my plows and i couldn't find the power wires I ask where it was. "It's a wireless, you don't need them" he told me in his best sarcastic tone. I about pissed myself laughing. Those my friend are your typical self installs.

14. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Thanks basher for defending me!!!

If you look at the time of my post, you will see it was at 5;25 am. Why?? BECAUSE I HAD BEEN AT MY SHOP SINCE MIDNIGHT BECAUSE IT SNOWED!!! We open for snowstorms after 2' has fallen. I have been at my shop the day befor, did'nt leave till10pm because last minute guys who did'nt fix their plow from the last storm are begging me to do so. Go home, shower, eat, kiss the wife goodby, and back to my shop from midnight till 6pm the following day. This has been the norm for every snowstorm this year. I've been doing this for the last 6 years. This year we changed our policy to only fix plows of customers that buy from us. Too many times I've had clowns that have regular maintence issues or broken plows from the last storm come in with 5 inches on the gound and beg me to fix it. Where is the dealer that he bought his plow from??? In a warm toasty bed with his partner. Like Basher said, I'd rather sell you parts. Think I wanna lay under your dripping truck that stinks to high heaven of grass still, in the middle of winter??? Don't say I don't know what it's like, because I've plowed snow since the mid eighties, when we still had plows that only went up and down, and plower angling was an option. You got out, angled the plow, and dropped in a pin. Now I'm a dealer, and you guys think we are all a bunch of morons. You think you have some money tied up in your lawn businwss?? Try buying a building, stocking it with 250,000-500,000 dollars worth of parts, 250,000 worth of whole goods, heat, insurance ect. Think you guys pay a lot in liability?? You should see what it is to have it on demo mowers. Someone get hurt on a demo, it's the dealers behind it trouble. I was'nt trying to dis the guy for putting his plow together, I think it's great. I was just pointing out all the things you guys as end\ users never see, and think the dealers get all this stuff from the manufacture all ready to go. Anyways, I'm off my soapbox again. Thanks for letting me vent. JOHN

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sharpcut 1 Makes me laugh these guys talk about 36 and 48 hours, We sometimes run 100 hour weeks putting the stuff these guy trash back togeather. That's after running our own rigs all night.

When they show up with broken black iron we make bets on how many empty beer cans we'll find in the truck. Nobody ever guess less then 6.

16. bribrius

your making me want to be a plow dealer. it sounds like fun.:rolleyes:

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Basher and Sharpcut.................AMEN

Got a unit in tonight that the guy new he needed an edge for last Thursday. Ran that storm and Friday. No call, no appointment. 60's monday, 40's tuesday. Calls this am to come in. Oh and when he gets here. How about a deflector ( wants a custom one ) , can you put a new clutch fan on the engine ( driving a 3500 cheve and is pissed because he can't do 75 or 80 down the interstate without it heating up ) and oh yeah I hit a loading dock last monday and think maybe I bent something up underneath...............Can I get it back by 3pm???????

J

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Then flipped when he saw the bill?

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Or you bust your hump to get it done...and they never show up to pick it up until after the storms over. They're my favorite.

20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

That would never happen...................:dizzy: