1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Registering Trailers In Maine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ColumbiaLand, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

We got tired of paying huge fees here in NY to register all of our trailers every single year. We had heard a while back about registering Maine so we looked into it. You can register for up to 12 years for one low fee. No yearly insanely high priced renewals and no inspections. They can also title there if you want. We ended up doing all of our trailers. It was simple and now we don't have to worry about it every year. Its perfectly legal here and DOT cannot hassle us. Doing this will save our company $1000s over just the next few years! They have awesome customer service and the process is simple. Any one looking for information, I have attached there form and directions, It also has the fee schedule for trailers. Any questions let me know.

Attached Files:

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

arizona has something that is simalar, my buddy registered his trailer out there as well!

3. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I have had my trailers registered in Maine for a while now. Best thing I ever did.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

When did they start registering for 12 years? Last I heard (last year) was two.

(edit) Never mind - I figured it out. I must be brain-dead tonight.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There are several problems with the rules for registering vehicles here in Maine. This is just one of them.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

spit it out, like what and explain. sounds like to me Maine is going to make some money.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

At the low price you can register a trailer here for, the state probably actually loses money.

My frustration stems from the fact that the cost to register a brand new 53' reefer is basically the same as a Harbor Freight Special. If I am wrong on the costs here, please correct me.

More frustrating is the fact that a pickup truck has to be registered for GCWR, even if you only tow the trailer twice a year. Why should I pay the same as a GM 7500 for example, which is essentially operating at GVWR all the time?

9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Just registered two more trailers there. Nice and easy. I don't even have to leave the office!

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have a brick and motor building that is registered to you ,the NY DOT will fine you.

11. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

I'm curious I pay over 200 a year for one trailer . $20 per 1000 pounds . I live in MA. So it is legal for me to register my trailer in ME even though I live and use it in MA? Can I still insure it in Ma being a ME registration?

12. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

$209 dollars for a 12 year registration sounds great!

13. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

The big thing everyone is not saying is this: To have a trailer tagged in Maine the trailer tag cant hold any weight. The truck that pulls the trailer has to hold all of the weight. For example; I have a f-250 GVW 10,000Lbs. I have a Trailer that is gvw 14,000LBS. 24,000LBS combined weight. If it has maine tags I have to have my ford truck registered for 24,000 lbs. It cost more money per year to have my truck at 24k on the registration than it cost to have my truck registered at 10k and my trailer at 14k seperatly.

The only real advantage to using maine tags is that you dont have to pay state sales tax and/or if you have multiple trucks that pull multiple trailers that are all the same weight it makes it easier.

I know all of this from experiance. I have two trailers with maine tags and 3 with reg state tags.

14. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

I just spoke to Staab agency in Maine and they said thay can put the weight on the maine trailer registration but they said most state dont record that so it basically doesnt count and the dot wont accept that as correct and youll get a ticket and repair order.

15. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

we used to have all the lowbeds and landalls at my last company registered in Maine, never had a problem. A friend of mine had a Ma DOT officer jokingly ask him "whens the last time you were at your Maine location?"

Another friend has all his personal trailers registered out of Maine, 2 enclosed car trailers, and several other open trailers. It saves him thousands over registering in Ma for the same amount of years

16. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

NY DOT does not aprove of the maine tag. Its only legal to tow if your tow vehicle has tractor plates ( instead of commercial on the botom it says tractor) If your stopped by dot, its looked at as if you have NO plates on the trailer and are put out of service and ticketed.

17. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I think your right about the costs. But the truck that pulls the 53' reefer is Registered at 80,000lbs. In PA that tag cost 1,680.50/year. So your truck tag makes up the difference.

18. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

A violation of subdivision one of this section shall be punishable
    by a fine of not less than seventy-five nor more than three hundred
    dollars, or by imprisonment for not more than fifteen days, or by both
    such fine and imprisonment except, if the violation consists of failure
    to renew a registration which was valid within sixty days, the fine
    shall be not less than forty dollars. A violation of subdivision seven
    or eight of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not less than
    one hundred fifty nor more than three hundred seventy-five dollars, or
    by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or by both such fine and
    imprisonment, for the first offense, except where the violation was
    committed with a vehicle having a maximum gross weight of less than
    eighteen thousand pounds the violation should be punished by a fine of
    not less than forty nor more than three hundred seventy-five dollars; by
    a fine of not less than three hundred seventy-five dollars nor more than
    seven hundred fifty dollars, or by imprisonment for not more than sixty
    days, or by both such fine and imprisonment, for the second or
    subsequent offense; provided that a sentence or execution thereof for
    any violation under this subdivision may not be suspended. For any
    violation of said subdivision seven or eight of this section, the
    registration of the vehicle may be suspended for a period of not less
    than ten days nor more than six months whether at the time of the
    violation the vehicle was in charge of the owner or his agent. The
    provisions of section five hundred ten of this chapter shall apply to
    such suspension except as otherwise provided herein.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  19. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

trying to get the ny vehicle and trafic law to post but it seams to be too long

20. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Well, i don't know all the technical legalities, but I've had several trailers registered in Maine for a few years, and I know several other people who have the same, and I see trailers on the road all the time with Maine plates. I don't think all those people are really from Maine...:rolleyes:. I've never had a problem yet (knocks on wood) and haven't heard of anybody else having one yet either - at least not around here. So until then, I'll just keep on keepin on and saving lots of money like I have been.:D

BTW, I use mainetrailer.com, and have gotten great service. Can do everything online and mail it in. Piece of cake. I usually do the 2 year tags and its $70.00 per trailer, no tax, no inspection, and no hassles. No brainer for me. :waving: