1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reg Cab Guys....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Feb 13, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey all. I'm really considering getting a new truck before the end of the month. Long story short, I think the reg cab might be better for me, I'm already used to the reg. cab because my Dakota has it. With that said, who has the reg cab and is it fine? Is it more roomier than it looks? Also its a 05 2500hd 6.0 auto with the snow plow prep 4x4. I would like to get an extended cab, but I want an 8ft bed and I don't want that long of a truck (my ford is a ext cab 8ft bed and its real long). So when plowing I want to keep it short, so the reg cab long bed is what I think would work best for me sense I landscape too. So who has the reg cab 8ft bed and what are your opinions on it?

Thanks guys!!! :drinkup: :waving:
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

We use mostly reg cab long bed older Chevy trucks. They are fine. I also have 1 Ford Superduty reg cab long bed that does fine. The difference is the newer trucks are more comfortable than the older ones. I also have a Dodge 3500 quad cab 4x4 dually with the Cummins diesel 5sp but don't plow with it. I pull my Bobcat with a plow with that truck. I think it is just too much truck to plow with UNLESS you are ONLY doing large lots. We have a couple SuperWalmart accounts, but I just subcontract more rather than add another plow to the Dodge or buy more trucks. Is this going to be a business only truck? That extended cab is sure nice when I am taking a couple of clients to lunch, dropping the kids off, or going racing, or camping, or . . . the list goes on. I guess you need to determine if an extended is needed for the largest percentage of the year and what exactly you are going to be doing with it. If it is a personal and business vehicle,then you need to weigh out all your pros and cons. We only average about 5 snow occurrences per year (2+") so I can't justify sticking with a regular cab on that truck for what I would give up the rest of the year. It is not too big to pull mowing trailers, bobcat and equipment trailers, or anything else the rest of the year. We do not however live in a large metropolitan area. If I lived in Chicago or someplace where getting around was more an issue, I would upgrade the wife's Blazer to a Yukon or Tahoe and drive a reg cab myself. Good luck with your decision.
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

All we use are Reg. Cab chevys and GMC's I can plow with 2 other people in the truck and still have arm room. Yoiu should be fine
  4. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I have the same truck, just an 04. I have always had reg cabs. It is my work truck so I need 8' bed. I don't need any extra seating or storage. (I have side mount tool boxs for that.)
    If you mean roomier as in driver leg room etc it is large.
    If you do need in cab storage there is very little room. I suggest you get the LS trim so you can have the fold down center seat. This allows better access to iteams behind the seat.
    Compared to a dakota it is huge.
  5. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I have a regular cab and I was dissapointed with the loss of all-around interior room campared to my old '92 GMC. But...

I have long legs and find that the seat travel is plenty in my 2003 (with nothing behind the seat to prevent it from going back to the second- or third-last position).

I have an LS and I too like the folding arm rest for accessing the area behind the seat. I went with the LS (on a special order as plow-prepped trucks with a regular cab on dealer lots were all non-LS) primarily for the power windows. The non-LS doesn't even offer power windows on a special order. I have arthritis in both hands and power windows are a must-have for me.

We have trouble when grocery shopping with this truck. If it's raining or snowing it gets crowded inside if we can't put some stuff in the bed (I have no cover or toolbox). A toolbox in the front of the bed would be nice for carrying stuff you can't put inside and that you don't want to get wet.

The extended cab with short box is about 9" longer than a regular cab, right? That's not too bad length-wise, but when the plow is on forget parking an extended cab in only one mall/grocery-store parking spot length-wise.

One other thing which I think is really important... I purposely got NON-tinted windows in my regular cab 2003 2500HD. I don't like the mandatory deep tinted windows (on the back and rear side) on the extended-cab and 4-door-cab GM's.

I'm guessing they put these deep-tinted windows on due to the larger cab (either extended or 4-door) window areas causing the "greenhouse" load to be higher. This makes the a/c work harder to keep the interior cool, especially with the new freons they're using now.

The regular-cab GM's have only a slight tinting on all windows, with a deeply-tinted rear window as only an option, I believe.

Deeply-tinted windows, especially the back window, make it difficult for me to see at night when backing up. When I plow at night, I want all cab windows to have NO deep tinting. Yes, I do use my side mirrors almost exclusively when backing up when plowing. But, those deeply-tinted windows just make me feel like I can't see all around as well as I should. Maybe it's more of a perception thing than a real problem as far as visibility goes. It just seems like those deeply-tinted windwos give me more "blind spots" than non-tinted windows do.

My old '97 Blazer had the deep-tinted windows on the back-door windows, the rear-side windows and the back window. I always had a hard time seeing out those windows at night, especially when backing up.

My 2003 Trailblazer has slightly less tinting on those same windows and it's an improvement over the '97 Blazer, but it's still somewhat difficult to see when backing up at night.

I really prefer the non-deep-tinted windows on my regular-cab 2003 Chevy 2500 HD. To be accurate, all the windows on my 2003 have a very slight tinting, just like almost all cars and trucks with a/c have nowadays.

I would highly recommend thinking hard about this issue if you really consider getting an extended cab as those deeply-tinted windows are mandatory on the extended-cab and 4-door-cab trucks, I believe. If you're going to be plowing with this new truck, deeply-tinted windows might be something you do NOT want.

It would be nice if GM made the deeply-tinted rear-side and back windows OPTIONAL on plow-prep trucks.

Anyone else think deeply-tinted windows are a pain when plowing, especially at night?

That's just my 2½¢. I apologize for being so wordy!!!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  6. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Mark -- I was in the same situation. I had a Dodge Dakota that was great transportation, but not much of a truck. It couldn't handle much of a plow or much of a hayload in the bed. So I traded up to an 02 Chevy 1500 4x4 RCLB. It hauls 50 bales of hay compared to 24 in the Dakota. And I have a 7.5' Curtis plow on the truck that is a huge time saver. (I went with the heavy Curtis only because I dismount the plow when it is not actually in use.)

Like the others, the center folding LS seat is a must have. I swapped the base level seats and $300 for a full set of LS seats from a junkyard. So now I can reach behind the seats without stopping and getting out. Groceries are a bit of a stretch in rain or snow, but if the passenger seat is all the way back my wife can still sit there with a surprising number of bags under her feet.

If you need the hauling space and don't want a gloriously long truck, the regular cab long bed is the way to go. Pete