1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Refurbishing plow...and I need help!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KSlandscaper, Oct 17, 2006.

1. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

I have an old Meyers (please no smart butt remarks) ST90 plow. I striped the plow of paint and found a few rust holes. All holes where relitively small, the largest was approx. 3"x4" (which I grinded out, and welded in new steel). I took the plow to a welding shop with the intention of having it re-skinned (since it is rust pitted and such). The shop doesn't have a roller and the only shop in my city which does would charge me an arm and a leg anyhow. So instead of reskinning the plow I opted to have them fill in the rust fills with a MIG welder and reinforce the flimsiest part on the back for $125 and change.

All is good (er looks good) for now, but I need to know what I should do about paint prep? I've heard of members using bondo to fill in the rust pits, then sanding the plow smooth. Or should I paint it as is (and maybe just opt for a poly liner?)

I'm clueless at this point.....please help!

(I could furnish photos if they'd help)
  2. overequip

overequip Junior Member

I guess you already have the repairs done, but what I have saw done when a steel roller was not available is to use a press brake and bend a sheet every inch or so to re-skin a plow. Not a pretty as a rolled sheet but it works well.

Just wanted to let you know that! Sorry I can't help you with your paint prep.
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I don't have a sure bet on paint. We used Rustoleum Professional and then put a plastic skin on. Worked great other than gouges from drivers pushing parking chalks across the lots.
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I used a press brakes to do my Fisher. Came out fine.
  5. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

Thanks guys. I wish I had posted this eariler....

The sheet metal itself isn't in bad condition really. There where a few rust holes....mainly underneath where the cutting edge mounts. The larger hole was over one of the ribs. On the top of the back side there was an issue of the metal flaking off (rust...seemed the previous owner stored the plow outside - front of the plow flat on the ground - plow collected water?), this is where I had the shop weld on a 10 guage 5" strip of sheet metal (all long the top). Everything should be good to go now....for at least 1-2 years?

I'm still playing with the idea of applying a thin layer of bondo to fill the rust pitting, but then again a poly liner isn't too expensive either. :dizzy:
  6. copperhead89

copperhead89 Junior Member
    from Mi

Paint choice?

Hi- I would go to your local Agricultural store and use Farm Implement paint. I wears as good or better than most anything. You can get great coverage cause you can brush it on so it will cover better than a few spray on coats. If you have a Western -International Harvester Red is a close match. I bet there are lots in service like that.
  7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Well, I know you did the sheet metal part already, but if you ever do it again I can tell you the redneck way of bending your sheet metal without a roller or a brake. You need your sheet metal, a truck, some 4x4s and 2x4s a little longer than your piece of metal and preferably a friend to drive the truck. Lay the sheet metal down on the 2x4s with them spaced at the edges and drive back and forth then move the boards (keep them straight and running length ways) keep moving your boards and adding to the height to get your metal to bend in a moon shape, periodically check against the plow for correct curvature. It takes a little time and patience, but it works, I just did it for half of my blade last week. You will have to clamp it on the plow and massage it a little with a hammer because it will want to bow up at the ends.
  8. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

MOLD BOARD 200% get r done

hi,mold board fix;get a piece of non-magnetic stainless steel sheet metal from a old walk-in cooler.cut it 36 by 88 3/4 inch.and then bend it around a 55 gallon drum useing 2 ratchet staps and let sit for 3 days to get then contour.remove straps and unskrew bolts 3-4 turns on cutting edge of plow and slip stainless between plow and cutting edge..This goes directly over top of original face of plow that has been patched up.NEXt put a few tack welds around the perimeter edge.AKA 1/4 tack welds ever other inch, RAN 2 seasons Comm. works greak no sticky clumps and its slick. Nothings impossible it just take longer. I,ll try to post a pic..soon..
  9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I would not recommend any body filler on your plow , normal filler absorbs moisture and will only cause further corrosion if the surface protection, ie: paint gets damaged. If the pitting is really bad, use Fiberglass Evercoat's Metal to Metal start sanding with 36 grit, then 80 grit and finish sanding with 180 for smooth finish, this product is water resistant and anticorrosive, but very pricey.

Sandblasting offers the best way to start a paint job, but if you got it down to metal, I'd wash it down with a good pre-cleaner and acid etch, then spray prime with a self etching anti-corrosive primer, follow with 3-4 coats of a good Single Stage 2K Urethane paint. Nason by Dupont offers a 2K that's very reasonable in cost, sort of a generic Imron. With any spray applications make sure your properly protected, good charcoal respirator, rubber gloves and well ventilated area.

Otherwise get a Rustolem primer, Rustolem Safety Yellow paint, roller and foam brush and put on nice even thin coats, allow sufficient drying between coats.
  10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Too many steps for a plow. We sandblast them, Rustoleum Primer and Safety Yellow. I did one 5 years ago and with exception of scratches still looks good. No rust on the back side.
  11. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

Ho Humm....I shoulda waited then! I already used body filler and sanded the moldboard back down to the metal. Primed with Rustolem primer and rolled on VanSickle(sp?) Industrial JD yellow enamel (same as safety yellow, sunburst yellow). Hopefully the plow is good to go for a few years.
  12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

13. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

Figured I'd post pictures of the results...

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Look's like it turned out great! Congrat's!
  15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Got a keeper. Paint is great.... Just add some to the A frame and valve body and its new again great job..........