1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Refurbish/Unique Moldboard Change Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SnyCo, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

i have an old 7'6" western unimount proplow that has done its share of work and is ready for a refurb this coming spring. there are spots on the moldboard where you could possibly fit your hand through, and the pump hasn't been serviced in years as you can see below.

[​IMG]

my plan is pretty routine. pull the moldboard off, sandblast and powdercoat black everything possible, rebuild mechanicals, etc. the odd part is that i want to add permanent wings that resemble the Wide-out blade in its extended position but not as wide. since the plow is narrow for the truck (F250), i have to widen it some and i figured permanent "wings" angled forward would be to my best advantage (why, i don't know... just a theory in my head). pic below will help explain.

[​IMG]

i have access to stainless fabrication, so it's obvious what the moldboard will be constructed of. the frame behind it will resemble the original, factory style plow frame.
    dimensions are simple and shown in drawing. obviously 7'6' plus 12" on either side equals 9'6" but due to the angles, the overall width should be around 9'.

finished product will resemble this:

[​IMG]

my question is, will this be too wide for the truck? is there any reason why this configuration will not work properly for multi use (mostly commercial, 3 residential drives) plowing? is there anything else that comes to mind that would red flag the idea?

thanks guys... i appreciate your time. :drinkup:

2. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

forgot to mention... new lights of coarse ;)

3. x.system

x.system Senior Member

If that were my setup I would get a 8' or 8.5' moldboard and slap a set of buyers wings on it. I've got the same plow on an extended cab and the 7.5 is to small so I made my own design wings and that took me to 9.5'. Check em out.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=106086

Search my other threads, I did a headlight upgrade last season to the same plow when I refurbished it.

4. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

good to know... while driving and in various situations is 9.5' too wide?

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I don't drive far with the wings forward, they catch alot of air and my blade will lift at 55 unless fully angled. I have a couple residentials where the wings are to wide but they are great on open lots, huge time saver.

6. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

ok thanks... i've seen your thread on the wings in the past. very nice work!

7. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I have a thread on the wings I built as well. search "wings out of aluminum" mine is 9'7" with the wings and i only do residentials. theres a few times i have to angle it when driving but only when i have another plow truck coming the opposite way and he's huggin the line. I have never pushed the buyers wings, but from my understanding they arent the strongest. build em yourself and theyll be plenty strong if you know what your doing. mine havent moved an inch and i have to stack snow high in a few spots