1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Refreshing Equipment - need opinions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Moonlighter, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

As the title states I would like some opinions on the best ways to refresh used equipment. Last year I stripped down my plow rig, ground and wired all the parts down to bare metal, and primed and painted it all. While it came out looking good it took a lot of time to do it, this year I picked up another plow and a few more pieces of equipment. So in the spring it will be time to refresh some more equipment and I am looking for some easier or less time consuming ways in which to do these projects.

A few of the ways I am looking into are
    1. Sandblasting - I have herd that it works pretty good, with right equipment but you need to protect yourself with like a blast suit. As well as buy all the materials and equipment.

2. Paint stripper then wire or blast-

3. Take it all to a blast shop and pay payup

There are probably more but right now I can't think of them, so I was wondering what works good for everyone, and what kind of equipment works best. Or should I just bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it and go make money. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I just had my salter blasted (by a shop) and after I primed it with self etching primer, painted it, it looks brand spanking new! I started to sand blast it myself with a friends blaster but it took forever and several bags of sand and only got 1/4 of it done in probably 5 hours of time. I took it to a blasting shop and only paid $45.00 to have it gone over. To me it was well worth the 45 bucks! Just remember, right tool for the right job!

Those little 40-60lb sand blaster's you can buy from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool etc. are a joke and made more for spot blasting and the compressor you need to run them are big $$$$$. My friends brand new 80 gallon commercial compressor didn't keep up.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what is your time worth? paying a pro is a lot faster, plus you dont have to buy all the stuff and learn the ropes.

in MI you can get a plow blasted and powder coated for about $250.