1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reflective Strips On Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Aug 8, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Any of you guys thought of useing reflective strips on your trucks to improve visablity.

I am not talking about the dot red/white strips, but solid color strips that are refletive.

White stipes might look good on a red truck, and a brownish relective stripe would look good on a dark green truck. Blue trucks could use a yellow reflective stripe.

I have heard that useing these stipes really improves the trucks visablity at night time. The more visablity that you can get the better off you are in a parking lot at night. Just my $0.02.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good idea. Any means of making your truck more visible is a plus. Taking that one step farther, it may be possible to have the stripe colour complement the truck lettering so it looks like it was intended to be there all along, rather than an "add-on"

I'm not sure it will prevent someone from running into you 'cause they "didn't see you" :rolleyes: but having taken steps to increase your visibility is a point in your favour at claim time! (Yes, I'm pretty cynical regarding the average motorist: a few years driving big trucks can do that. So can riding a motorcycle. A lot of drivers out there just don't pay attention to what they're doing!)
  3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I put white strips at the tips of my blade markers and the red/white strips acrose my spreader at the top. IT does look cool when strobes or rotators hit them from other trucks but other than that, mr joe cool still don't care if you are working he is going to drive right behind you or cut you off. No matter how many lights you got going.
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

slplow I know what you mean had a guy back right into my sander last winter.I have a whelen 52" 8 strobe light bar and a very big red and white refective tape across that back of the sander and I still got hit.And he said he couldn't see me.
  5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Something about snow or rain . people just can't think and drive at the same time.
  6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Scary isn't it, they can't see a big truck with reflective tape, strobes etc. just because it is raining / snowing, but I bet they were able to see the numbers on the phone they were busy talking on !! :rolleyes: