1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

reflective stakes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by advl66, Jan 17, 2010.

1. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

anyone know where to get good deals on those plactic stakes with the reflective tap on top? homedepot?

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i bought some from them..they worked pretty good...i had seen some at home depot that looked like they might be more reflective but i think they cost more

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I got some from home depot, about $2 a stake, but I only needed about 20 stakes just to mark out certain areas that could be issues for me, I don't stake perimeters like some people do.

5. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

i bought them at Lowes and they sold them to me for $1.20 each bought 2500 at a time.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wood lath with some fluorescent orange sprayed at the top is ALOT cheaper and works great

7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I bought a stack at Menards for about $7, add 2 cans of spray paint, $5, and I had about 40 stakes.

8. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I use these stakes "driveway markers" from Angelo's
    there are a few oppertunties with the stakes, they are only 4 feet, and they are NOT reflective. but for a cost of $400 per 1000 vers others are $1,500 per 1000, you cant beat this. Install your own reflective tape!..What I figure is once i have an edge established I dont need the stakes anymore, therefore the 4' length is fine.. plus at the end of the year you can toss them...I use a 3/8" hammer drill to install them 6" into the soil. they work great...

http://www.angelos-supplies.com/Portals/0/PAGE 38.pdf

9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Nice idea using the hammer drill...

10. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we use the reflectors more for reversing in driveways, much easier to pick out the edge when you have a nice bright spot to see rather than looking for brown stake with a hint of orange paint in the dark. To each his own I guess.

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah snopoles are at lowes too for $1.96 each, really irks me the wrong way when we paid $2.69 ea plus tax at our landscape supply company that deals salt, calcium, snow supplies etc, and we buy them by the boxes of 50! same darn thing and almost $1 more per after tax AND i usually have to wait a few days to pick them up, they dont always have enough in stock :confused:

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Looking to purchase some stakes for next year, and was curious why you said this? Do they not last more than 1 season....or can you get 2 or 3 seasons out of some of them? Thanks.

13. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

At $.040 each, you could toss them and not store them, where as paying $2.00ea at home depot I would have a problem tossing them.Ace Hardware has a similar stake at $4.00 each....

I have 2 seasons on them so far. Slight fading, going to pull all the stakes this weekend to avoid more fading, toss the splintered ones, clean them off and install them again next year. I am expecting 4-5 seasons on them. so that $0.15 per year, but I ran a bunch of them through the blower and there is not much left!

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thanks....I think I will try a 1000 of them.

15. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

WEAR GLOVES when installing them. Fiberglass in the fingers and hands SUCKS!!! Here is some more on the stakes, our subdivision road is 4 miles long and has a 2000ft elevation change. We installed the stakes with a 3/8 6" long bit in a hilti medium size hammer drill. this left ~42" of the stake sticking out of the ground. Generator in the truck, one kid driving, one kid drilling the 3rd installing the stakes...8hr they installed ~800 stakes The stakes were great at keeping me on the road, I only went off once,.
    here is where I failed with the stakes this season, the first 3 storms I plowed the snow to the edge of the road and the snow was light enough that the stakes popped back up. Then we had ~14" of light powder snow around the stakes. The xest srotm was a major dump of wet snow, and I plowed the same way to the edge, but the stakes didnt bounce back up becuase of the heavy snow. it was LATE at night, snowing hard and I didnt notice what happen until the next day..the plow plan has changed, when the snow is heavy we plow to the middle and blow it off the road.. the year before we only had light snow and by the time the snow was at the top of the stakes, the edges of the road were defined with the blower and we focused on the cut made from the blower, until enough snow melted or compacted so the stakes surfaced again.

good luck, they have worked great for us

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can buy rolls of the reflective tape and make your own stakes.

17. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I took a piece of 1/2 emt conduit, about 42 inches long. Then took 2 pieces of 3/8" pex, about 6 inches long. Take the pex and split it into quarters about 2 inches along the top and insert into the conduit. Bend the split ends of the pex pipe over the conduit and wrap it with electric tape. Then do the same thing on the other end of the conduit. Then put one of the Angelos stakes in it and simply use a hammer and drive it in the ground till it is even with the top of the conduit. After your finished the staking the job out, it looks nice and neat. All the stakes are in the ground the same depth, and all standing up looking nice and pretty.

18. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

What about those small stakes that kinda look like 16" straws and are orange, idk what their called but would like to ge them cheap somewhere

19. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Just pulled the 900 stakes that we installed last December along the subdivision road. I had to toss 150 of them as they splintered or broke off at the ground. We had over 4 feet of snow on the ground. the top of the stakes were covered, I guessed at where the roads edge was with the blower...so it looks like 150 time was was over the edge..LOL Going to change plowing and blowing stratagies for next season.. Cant justify the cost of longer stakes... have a great summer!

20. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Refective tape is definitely a much cheaper option. Also, much less frustration when they break during the season. :)