1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reflective Coats

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ipushsnow, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

With safety being the primary concern, I was thinking about buying reflective outerwear for my guys. I didn't want to do just vests over their own coats, I wanted to get something nice. Everything I have been finding online is pretty lightweight stuff used by paramedics and such. Anyone have any suggestions for coats that are both reflective as well as warm enough for a guy throwing snow for 10 hours?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Orange hunting gear maybe?

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

5.11 tactical 3 in 1 parka
    it comes with a fleece liner very warm
    but they are pricey.
    i have one and i love it
    wearguard has a similar system also for a little cheaper i think and they can add your logo if you want

4. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

aw direct has got some good ones

6. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

farm and family has scmidt thats as good if not better than carhart, and cheaper then get tailor to add reflective stripe, company name and your stylin? imo

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

8. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Anything good is going to be real expensive. You are better off giving them nice, expensive vests to put over whatever they are already wearing. Even the most expensive vests wont cost $100-$200. Let them wear whatever coats, or sweatshirts, or whatever they want. The vest is obviously lightweight as well.

10. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Lime Green coat

Starting last year I start wearing a ANSI 3 Lime Green for all my cold weather work. Love it. Only thing I can say bad about it is that is looks about 5 years old. I get dirty alot adn wash it alot. 1 dealer advised that the Orange jackets look a little better for the wear but still will show the usage. The price is steep for a good jacket parka but well worth it.

J & B Lawncare.

11. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

12. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

The carhartt coat is being worn by many of our local tow trucks. Looks nice and they like em.

13. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

snowmobile riding apparel? many bright colors/reflective but slightly pricey

14. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I am not sure and have not checked into it other than my boss says wear it so insurance covers you. While snowmobile apparel might be bright do they make it with ANSI certifaction? Depending where you work it is now a regulation to wear ANSI on the public roadway. Just a thought.

15. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

cintas has a class 3 jacket i use and its warm and REALLY visible only $75 too!payup

16. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

17. nekos

nekos Senior Member

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

19. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The only issue I have with buying shovelers nice coats, I almost did last season.
    Is that we have a relative high turnover rate with our shovlers & at $ 80-100 each coat it would get expensive quick. Our drivers & operators will stick with me for years, shovelers I get 2 years at most, so far. I went through probably 15 shovelers last season to find 5 decent ones that showed. I don't beat them up, pay decent with a 4 hr min, blowers where needed, etc. don't know what else more I could do. If I knew they were going to be with me for the long term no issue, but you never know. I had one shoveler I hired, he lived in the complex we maintaned I droped off two new shovels for him before the start of the season, he didn't work a single shift, never returned the shovels, never called me back, if I had given him a new coat I'd be out even more , still out $ 30 but better than $ 130.