1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Refinished all the old chevys..

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by GSS LLC, Aug 20, 2012.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

before...
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]
    BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

AND A GROUP PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice collection !!!!

5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

They are far from show cars. but new rocker panels, cab corners, tires, ball joints in all of them that needed it. new xfer case in the green flatbed. radios in all to get rid of am only. bedlined the flatbeds. sandblasted and painted the plow on the green flatbed. new radiators in the shortbed and green flatbed, new carb on the shortbed, lots of knick knack fixes and repairs, new wiper motors and windshield squirters in all (sucks not being able to see). new exhaust on 2 of them. greased, changed all oils on all of them. a new front drive-shaft in the orange one, along with axle shaft joints. 2 inch lift on the orange one. i have a 2 inch lift for the green flatbed, we will see if i get the motivation to do that this year or if it will wait. im burned out on working on them for now. all this was done in just over a weeks time. hopefully they all work well. mechanically, they are as good as any truck on the road. they have a few dents and dings, but that is ok, i wont freak out when someone rubs against a snow pile or drift, or backs into a pole..

I love old chevys. a lot of people will just see them as an old truck, but i have a huge man crush on 70-85 chevys. My first truck was a 77 chevy. and my dream truck is an 85 1 ton 4 door srw with a 12 valve cummins, 6 speed manual trans, and fully restored from the ground up.

you can see my dodge in the picture of the bule flatbed, thats my ride. all the chevys were painted the same color so everything matches. i like the old chevys because they are minimal things to go wrong. easy to fix in a parking lot, i can stock a lot of parts for cheap, and they fit every truck. simple, and they work. i understand the guys using 20-50k truck/plow setups if they use the truck year round. but these trucks just hang out around my shop 9 months out of the year. they are expensive yard art. i figure ive got about 5-7k in each truck on avarage.

6. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

that is awesome you have a fleet of reliable old beasts that look sweet and dont cost alot to maintain and are better than junk they make now. looks great

7. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I was hoping to see some OBS chevys but those are even better. I have wanted to do a frame up rebuild of one of these trucks with a modern chevy interior with all the bells and whistles for plowing like heated wipers and mirrors and maybe put a hydro pump on it. Keep dreamin for now.

8. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

although im a ford man that is a nice fleet. i am definately a believer in having equipment that is cost effective.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

They all look great. I would love to have a 1987 or older Chevy 1/2 ton long box with a 7.5' Fisher Speed Cast on it.

10. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Very nice fleet !Lets hope we get the snow this year so you can put them to work.

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The simplicity of those older trucks is great when compared to what they make now. Sometimes simple is better :)