1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Refilling Hydraulic Pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Stymie, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

Okay, I think I messed up. My father-in-law said to fill and drain my pump using the labeled holes. However, when I try to refill it keeps coming out of the overflow hole. Any ideas?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The drain is right. Did you get any fluid out?

When you removed what you have labeled ( fill )what came out?
    Because that is the high presser relief quill.
    The fill is on the top of the res right next to the motor. It is just a plug.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  3. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

Thanks Sno Farmer. When I opened fill a few tablespoons worth of hydaulic fluid came out of the overflow. Forgive my ignorance but is the fill plug visible in either of the photos? I looked this thing over and didn't see anything that looked like it could be used as a fill.

Finally, is there a rule of thumb for how often to drain the fluid? I did it only because the blade would freeze in the down position in really cold weather so the consensus was that there was probably some water contaminating the hydraulic fluid.
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

. Here are the locations of the drain, fill, fill level.

I know their not the same year your is cable controlled and this one is electric. but the plugs should be in the same locations.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hey! now that you have drained the fluid out it is a good tome to clean out the filter too.

Disconnect the battery.
    Remove the two bolts that hold the motor on.
    Lift it straight up and off.
    Look down at the pump.
    In front their will be a filter that justs pops out.
    I stand facing away from the pump then reach in and remove it.
    you can clean this one and reuse it or you can get a new one.

To get it back in, just pop it right in!! lol:waving:
  6. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

Unfortunately I cannot find anything that resembles the screw in your photo. I took several more so hopefully you can point it out. Thank you again for all of your help!

pump1 (4).jpg

Pump2 (3).JPG

Pump3 (2).JPG
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In your third picture, below where it says attach ground cable here there is the head of a bolt. You remove this bolt to fill the reservoir. Underneath that same part there is a drain plug you remove to drain the hydraulic fluid. From your pictures I can't see the overflow plug but it takes almost 1 quart.It is also a good idea to clean the filter as SnoFarmer suggested.
  8. Stymie

Stymie Junior Member

Thank you! I guess I need new glasses.