1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Referrals from Competition

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The guy who used to plow my drive just stopped by a half hour ago. He let me know he's been referring most of his customers to me. He's trying to cut back cause he'd been using his everyday truck and doesn't want to beat it up anymore pushing snow. Took some of my cards to pass out. I offered to swap a couple that were in an area he had other customers, but he's wanting me to take the ones he has in that area, too. He'd just stopped by to get my number to pass it on to them.

How's that for competition?
  2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Do it all the time. If its an account I don't want, or can't do for some reason, I try to get into the hands of someone I know, or better yet someone I'm friends with. I've probably referred about half as much of the new work I've done in the past year (landscape & snow). Hopefully what goes around, comes around. There's a group of about 6 or so local LCO's that if summoned to a new prospect, we'll call the old contractor if we hear its one of us, to find out why its out to bid. Helps us to know if we're dealing with a bad customer or whatever.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I had a competitior actually print out his customer list for me this fall and invited me to call and sign them. He was just ready to cut back, and his general contracting business has been too much lately.

Too bad it was residential.:(

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

residental is an untapped commercial plowers market........i think
  5. KSP1

KSP1 Junior Member

Referrals are common here between myself and 2 other commercial outfits. It has worked out well for the 3 of us.
    Obryan if you want some residential accounts shoot me an e-mail. I'll be glad to send them your way...

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I actually concentrated on getting residentials this year. Only tried for two new commercials and got one.

A lot of contractors here will refer people. We each have a little area and don't like taking business from each other. Plus we all know who the good and bad customers are.