1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reevaluate Bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPC Services, Nov 15, 2008.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

The funniest thing came to me by letter the other day from one of my larger clients

the letter had ask if we would Reevaluate are prices because the price of gas had drop from $4 to $2 a gal since september and re summit and that if prices rise again that we would vist this subject again during the season

I dam near lost it are you friggin kiddy me I have already got it as low as I can hell I'm not really making crap of my subs so I can get the work to keep them busy The money I make is off sanding/salt and Ice melt on side walks and the hours I'm behind the truck

and they want top notch quiality from us and want me to lower my prices because gas drop for a little while!

WTFFFF ( Shot me now if their going to act like this all season and the season has not even started. I may just start vacation in the southeran part of the country this used to be fun.)
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had a couple of my contracts simply ask me the same thing. I told them all to shove it. After the beating I took last year, I will never lower a price for any reason. Gas will go back up. It will only be cheap till the new president takes office. After Jan 21st we will see 3 dollar a gallon gas indefinatley.
  3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I hear you, had a nother client earlier this year cry when I told him I would like to go up 5 bucks a hr he was like will there is still guys doing it for 55 to 60 an hr I told him fine but this will be the last year I will do it for for 65 I kind of got him mad at me because then I told him has he seen that the cost of everything has gone up and I cant aford to start fixing my equipement for that either. and that he must have guys that have crap for equipment
  4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Don't lower anything. Purchasing/repair/maint. of equipment costs are high. Human resources (fancy word for help) are higher every year. Gas is only one part of the equation. Did the costs or price for anything go down for this guy in the last 6 months who wants you to lower prices? Can he guarantee your fuel costs? Salt prices darn sure didn't drop this year.
  5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

looks like an opportunity for creative salesmanship. He wants someone who will work with him on this, so everyone that says "shove it" will rule themselves out. Create a plan which seems to offer him a break, but build in extras thast will more than make up for it. Normally, I wouldn't call for game playing... but this guy has invited the game imo.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Care to offer any suggestions?
  7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Assuming you've all ready addressed his comment "others guys are doing IT for 55 an hour" by saying "Doing what... billing for more time than they were actually on-site to make up for the low rate?" OR "IT is realative and directly proportionate to the skill of the operator... if they are 10 percent cheaper and I am 20 percent more efficient who is the bargain?"

Try something like this:

Let's say for easy math that gas is down from $3 to 2 - 33% (more like 2.85 to 1.85) You burn four gallons of fuel per hour so you save $4 per hour... which is about 6% of an hourly rate of $65 per hour.

Tell him you'll split this difference and give him 3% for fast payment (define it well), BUT if it gets back to say 2.35 you add 1.5% surcharge to invoice total... 2.85 add full 3%.

Gas will rise again. Opec is not subject to price fixing rules of USA and will decrease production, and is beginning to do so already.
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Excerpt from MY Letter

In a letter that went out to a select percentage of my clientel, this is an excerpt. This would have answered your persons question, as to whether or not you would go down on your price, as this justifies a price increase in more then one way:

" With the unfortunate, constant rise of cost of living, fuel, and insurance, we are forced to raise our prices this year $5.00 more than you were paying last year. Although we cannot predict our economic future, we would like to think this is the last price increase for at least a couple of years. We hope that our commitment to you in the past, will gain your commitment to us for the upcoming season. "
  9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I like it... kind of says "we're all in this together".
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

You've got to sympathize with the people. Furthermore, one month of $2 gas prices doesnt offset 18 months of $4 and $5 fuel prices. I would never lower my price, I would consider commiting to my current price for 2-4 years. In other words: "No sir, I am not willing to lower my price, but I am willing to lock you into that price for the next 3 years, no matter what the economy does."
    Something of that nature.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That was my stance this year, including earlier this year when lawn bids went out.

We raised all the prices, by 6-10%, but reminded people that we'd already been doing the work for the last 3+ years at the same rate.

Now I'll be able to tell them, no increase this year, due to gas prices stabilizing, and therefore, theoretically, everything else coming back down in price.
  12. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

A consistent average inflation rate around 3% will do it too...

less buying power
  13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I agree with ^^^^ :drinkup:
  14. azandy

azandy Member

We raised our plow pricing 10% this year. We hadn't had an increase in almost three years. The gas prices are dropping and thats great. I wish all the other major costs would drop as well. The gas prices are not a big part of the cost anymore. What happened 6-12 months ago usually is what dictates our pricing structure....... This is some of the responses I use as people are challenging the gas price drop issue. It's all about sales. If some one wanted out of their contract because of fuel prices, I'd let them go. Probably not a customer we want or need.