1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reducing liability

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by whitehouse, Jan 19, 2011.

1. whitehouse

whitehouse Junior Member
    from NC

Does anyone take extra steps to reduce liability from people slipping in parking lots? I was thinking of some kind of signage warning of icy areas...

I just had someone break a wrist on a lot I spread ice melt on and looks like they are coming after me. I think I did everything I could do, the lot was just not 100% ready for people to walk on. I was trying to come up with anything extra I could do to reduce liability for a fall down.
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you took all the right steps, spread the right material at the right time and have good docs you should be ok............
  3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Just seems these days people will sue and will find a way to sue for just about anything. Know your job, and document everything as stated above.
  4. whitehouse

whitehouse Junior Member
    from NC

I think I did take all the right steps but the conditions were extreme. Even the property manager agreed we did all we could do.

Can you elaborate on your process for "having good docs" and documenting your work?

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Docs, include time you were there, time the snow and ice came, service you provided while you were there, temps, and just about anything else that can help prove you did everything in your power to clean the snow and ice. I would include everything for the previous 24 to 48 hours as well as everything for the 24 to 48 hours afterwards. If you have pictures, that would be great.
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

This guy made a great log:

We include, time we were there, weather conditions, snow accumulation, service we provided, salt, de-icer, walkways, temperatures, ground temps, and what time we were finished.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This most likely will not lower your liabilities, but it will be the first thing you will learn going through the process. It behooves you to notify the public of icy and snow covered conditions (even though they are open and obvious) through signage at the egress and ingress. Go a step farther and put them at the building entrances and all man-doors too.
  8. whitehouse

whitehouse Junior Member
    from NC

This is great information I'll be incorporating into our systems. Thanks everybody for taking the time to share your knowledge with a newbie. Major snow events are rare here in Charlotte so its been difficult for me to find experienced local operators to learn from or sub out to.