1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Reducing Glare on plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Runner, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Runner

Runner Senior Member

As I was driving the other night, something that I've given thought to before occured to me. I was considering painting the upper 1/3 or so of the back of my plow flat black (instead of Western red) to rid the glare that comes back up into the cab from the lights shining on it when it is up. I was wondering if anyone else had ever considered this - much the same way the county trucks have their hoods flat black to reduce sun glare.

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Is the glare coming from the truck lights or the plow lights. If the truck lights are the cause, they should actually not be on with the plow on the truck.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I have some time ago and it works great! Make sure it is flat black. I used the 94 cents a can Walmart brand on a couple of plows. They should make them that way from factory. Before you paint it put plow on truck and raise it up and angle it from size to side and mark off how much you need to paint.

4. Tarkus

Not so, it was my headgear lights.

5. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Are you carrying your blade too high even when I'M TRAVELING i only see maybe an inch of my blade. I don't raise it all the way just enough to clear the ground. Just a thought................Ron

6. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I was thinking about starting a thread about this. But instead of using flat black paint, I was going to use that stuff that they coat truck beds with. I bought some from Wal-Mart and used it on my truck a couple of years ago. It's lasted flawlessly.

Anyway, that glare is really annoying.

7. Tarkus

If I carried my plow that low it would drag the ground in every dip. You would not believe the difference it makes at night until you drive with it that way.

On the bed liner coat that is a interesting idea but it might be too shiny and paint is easy to work with and repair.

8. Slowryde

Slowryde Junior Member

Glare

I noticed that glare you spoke of on my plow as well. So I just put the blade back in a V and it was gone. No painting required. :)

9. Tarkus

Never gone just reduced. It really helps your night vision on the road to have it "black" off the end of the hood. Once your try it, you will not want to go back. Any new or used plow I buy will be painted from day one.

10. Slowryde

Slowryde Junior Member

Perhaps reduced, I guess??? Doesnt bother me with V-blades, dont even notice. However It seems like a good idea for straight blades. :)

11. Tarkus

Strange thing is that you do not realize how much you "notice it" until it is gone.

12. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Once upon a time (in a... never mind) Fisher painted the back of their blades black.

13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Wow! I didn't realize that so many others considered it an issue to consider like I have. It is from my plow lights, I can't lower my plow, because it will drag (Western Pro), and (of course) I can't put it back into a V lol. It looks like a go, and I will definitely get to this as soon as I get a clear day. My hood is dark blue like the rest of the truck (sort of a wierd solid aftermarket blue - about the same color as our state police cars, but just a touch darker) so I don't get much glare from it, but if I had a lighter color truck, especially white, or a bright color like red, I think I would seriously consider having a different hood just for the winter that would be flat black.

14. intlco

intlco Senior Member

We got silver trucks and the hood glare is really bad all the time. Even when the plow is off, you can see the road in the hood.

I just paint the steel blades with Rust O leum Satin Black, and the glare is gone. Also, the satin looks better than flat paint.