1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

redoing a fisher plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 1999 GMC 1500, Mar 3, 2010.

1. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

hey guys ive got a 71/2 foot fisher mm2 and i was thinking to redo the plow i was going to take apart the whole thing sand blast and repaint the frame and plow and put new rams lines and pump what you guys think?

2. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Good Idea. Just take alot of pics and post them up.:nod:

3. cameron2171

cameron2171 Senior Member

im thiking of doing the same thing with my fisher 8 foot

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Is there something wrong with the pump? That insta-act setup is $1k alone, if anything just disassemble and clean it. Otherwise a plow breakdown and rebuild/paint gives you a nice new plow in the end :) pics of the process are a must

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

From what I've read, that stuff does not come off easy. Do you have free access to a sand blaster and compressor? I mean the kind you haul behind the truck. Figure all your costs before you start. It might not be much more money to buy a new moldboard. Then add the cost of new rams, hoses, pins, hardware, fittings, cool MM 2 lift arm, etc......

Grab a wire wheel and hit the rust, few spray cans, call it good. Or sell it, add the money you would spend doing yours right, and buy a new plow.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The prep work is freakin torture. The assembly is a blast though.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Here is what I did to mine.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=73268

If you are willing to take a drive to Lewiston, ME I know a place that will blast and re powder coat your whole plow for $275. You'll need to break it down, but it's fairly simple.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They'll do it for $275? That's pretty cheap. They do a good job too, from what I know.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yup, that's what they quoted me last October....provided that I have it completely disassembled and put on pallets. Even though I wasn't able to go through them to get mine done, I did have to disassemble mine for the guys that did do it. Which is really simple. The only b!tch of disassembling it was the headlights....but hey, those suckers were on there for 12 - 13 years. When they didn't want to play nice, I dug out the mini sledge hammer and took care of business :mechanic: . If it hadn't been 20 degrees at night with a wind chill around 8 degrees, I may have had more patients :rolleyes:.

mm2 headgear.JPG

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking the $275 was the mold board only. They'll do the whole framework for that price too? That's more than cheap enough.

Can they do the back of the moldboard a different color? - Black :D

11. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

repo man if you dont mind me asking how much did u spend on redoing your plow. and this is a stuiped question what peice of the plow is the moldboard? lol but anyways thanks for all the advice guys. 1 last thing to repaint everything what should i do just sandblast and primer then paint it? lol

12. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

or should i just buy an 71/2 extreme v becuase i really want 1. but ive got a 1500

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yup, the whole thing. I would think they may charge you more for the back of the blade. They would have to wait for it to dry, mask it and then paint it again.

I spent around $2k If I remember right. I would have to pull all the receipts. I paid $750 for the blasting and powder coating. I had to use another shop due to time constraints. I left everything until the last minute and the guys I was going to use were in the middle of extensive project. Keep in mind though, I also replaced everything that I possibly could. Brackets, pins, cotter pins, rams, hoses, electrical, lift arm, chain, complete pump rebuild, light upgrades, springs, every bolt, nut, & washer....everthing. Nothing was left untouched.

The moldboard is the actual blade section.

"just sand blast" lmao :laughing: yeah, it's going to take alot with that powder coating. I think the shops put some kind of electrical current or something to it while they blast. I've even heard of some guys using chemicals. Fun stuff. It maybe worth your wild to have it blasted and you do the rest of the work if you go solo on this.

Yes, if your going with straight paint, then a few coats of primer, then a few coats of paint. I wouldn't even rule out clear coating it.

I'm not so sure I would put that on a 1/2 ton, but to each his own. FisherV put one on his late model F-150 and I haven't heard of any major problems thus far.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd put a small vee on a reg cab half ton. Presuming you don't do a ton of plowing or travel a hundred miles a storm.

15. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

yeah i think i might stick with my plow becuase i was on langs corner garage website and the xtreme v's are about 5k i think and i would rather spend 2k. and im only 16 :)

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

You looking at the full blown install price for both truck and plow side. for a 7.5 you would be looking at around $3500 I would say for just the plow. I was quoted $3800 and $4200 for the bigger Xtreme V's .

Maybe you should concentrate on finishing school before you worry about that shinny new plow though.

17. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

yeah ill be fine with a straight blade. but once i get a 3500hd im ganna get a xls or xtreme v :):):) but how should i clean my motor becuase i dont wanna buy a new one my dad replaced it 2 years ago

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Uh yeah. Like I said before. Wire wheel, and a few spray bombs.

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

I was just thinking that's why you had said that :nod:

20. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

whats spray bombs?