1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

redmax power sweeper

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slade, Feb 2, 2008.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

Have any of you guys used these to remove snow off of sidewalks? I was thinking about buying one but wanted to know how well they work for snow. Thanks

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I've never used one, but I remember reading on this site a couple monthes back about someone using one for walks with a lot of success. I imagine it would have to be light fluffy snow though.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Well Yes.... Well Yes.....Well Yes I have

The thread that hes talking about was started my me :D

We use them for walks are the time... and wanted to share it with yuo guys here and caught alot of crap about it !!! But Im happy to see someone has the same ideas I have!!!

Here is the thresd: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=52698&highlight=Sidewalk+tool

Also If you have any ????'s bout thislet me know

4. slade

slade Senior Member

Clapper&Company , I see where they have 2 different heads for them one has the rubber flaps and the other is nylon bristles I think. Which one do you have? Is your power sweeper a redmax or a stihl? On a 4' wide walk do you just have to make a couple passes or does it take more than that? Thanks for your help.

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

We use all stihl power equipment !!

We got the ones with the Rubber Flaps, they work also on dry and Wet snow we used it on snow up to 6". We havent had any deeper on it to use lol

The head is likle 22" wide I think. On deep snow like 6" we have to go over it twice but it works great, and there is nothing faster as far as hand tools.

There faster then a shovle and ez to handle then a blower... If u use it right we never pick ours up off the ground

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Ron, yours has the shield or "fender" over the paddle head doesn't it? My Redmax didn't come with one, so it only does a great job up to a couple inches or slightly more. Then it starts throwing snow back behind itself.

7. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

No mine didn't come with one, so thats why I said in deeper snows u just have to go over every thing twice.

By the way they work good for putting stone back in drives and lots too

8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Stone cleanup was why I purchased mine. What a time and labor saver! I tried it on a whim on the snow and was pleased. It works great on uneven surfaces, street pavers and wood decks where shovels would catch or dig in, for pulling snow away from doors and off steps. I think I will add the shield though.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

unlike using a shovel if you hit a crack in the sidewalk it doesnt stop the power broom. its not fun using a shovel to clear a couple of inches of snow and hitting a crack and coming to a dead stop.

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yep I agree

We got ours for stone and now we use it all the time !!!
    We dont leave to do a landscape job with out it

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I found it t be rather useless in ANY type of snow. A Melnor shovel will do circles around these...and not be as heavy or burn fuel.

12. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

I posted the same thing a while back. It's like using a floor broom on snow. :confused:

A shovel is probably 5 times faster.

:)

13. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

What type of snow was u trying to use it in?

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Powder, wet,and all stages in between. as fast as a stroke of a shovel is, it is just too simple to use. However fast or slow you move a shovel, it works. Even as the buildup of snow gets deeper, it works. It is WAY lighter in weight than this sweeper is, and much more adaptable in corners, steps, and the ability to lift and throw if and when needed. No matter how fast a sweeper can e pushed as a stroke, a shovel can still be pushed faster. The end result of the stroke is cleaner, also. There are many piece of equipment that will work for different things, but many times, they are not the most practical or efficient. A garden rake can be used to fill in a hole, but a shovel works better. A string trimmer can cut areas of open grass, but a mower will do it faster. These are just some examples of these type of applications. Now, this is just my opinions and experience with these sweepers. I will tell you ONE thing, though...I wouldn't trade it for the world for cleaning up gravel and debris out of turf in the spring after plowing. We have our own techniques on running these things that cut the work down and makes it MUCH easier, that others have tried after suggestion, and agree with the ease of use. :)