1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Holland, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Sorry to complain, but here it goes. I plow my fiance's cousins driveway. Yes its family but not immediate family like mom of dad or something so i charge them. I cut them a deal tho. I charged them 15 a time. Drive is probably 300+ feet long, Its 6 miles out of town and its gravel. Sounds cheap as he!! right? On christmas eve i widened the drive and plowed a path to the back door. There was probably 16 in of snow already on the ground and i had to beat my truck to get it clear. So i charged an extra plowing and marked it up as if it was a 4 in snowfall. Over 4 in i add 25% for the extra trouble. Six plowings total (3 under 4in and 3 over 4in) for the month came to 101.25. By far the cheapest bill i handed out. Their pissed! Told me not to plow anymore! Heck i might have been breaking even on the deal! Sorry again for venting but i found this pretty rediculous!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't invite them to your wedding.Make a stand.That will piss them off to no end.They'd probably only get you ketchup and mustard plastic bottles in a cheap wood holder as a gift anyway.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

tell them to find someone cheaper or get a shovel
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I think you should slap both of them in the mouth next time you see them.
  5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

They'd spend more than that on shovels! :dizzy:
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Yea he gotta a good deal and doesn't realize it. Take whatever he gives you and walk.
  7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

So he knew what you were charging and you only added maybe 17 dollars more than he should have been expecting? Sounds like a total a$$ tell them they are not invited to the wedding because you had to cut a couple dinner plates as some of your plow customers stiffed you this year and had to lower the budget.
  8. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Good time to learn. There are no deals or family discounts. Its either free, or its full price. I never chsrge friends or family.
  10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

post #7 & #8 lmao
  11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with Image. I refuse to plow for friends, and all family is free. The quickest way to piss off family is to give them a bill. One way or another someone feels like they are getting screwed.
  12. deepinit

deepinit Junior Member
    from Pa

Close family is free, outside of that pay or go-away. I didn't invest thousands of dollars so I could plow all of my neighbors driveways for free either, though some of them think I should.
  13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

They were most likely expecting that you would say, Don't worry about it, and not charge them.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i hope they have fun shoveling next storm
  15. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

they told you not to do it anymore so your out of it at least sounds like a good thing!
  16. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Amen to that...... Lesson learned, thank you !!
  17. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

sounds like you should be as happy as a hooker right now.
  18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Agree, they prob won't give you a gift anyway.

Another reason when I do work for family there is still a contract and understanding. Learned that a long time ago. no surprises that way
  19. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I plow my parents free, my wifes parents free and used to plow my sister in laws free, until she let a dude with no job move in. Then I stopped. She didnt ask why either!! I do all my neighbors for a discount pay one price unlimited. Everyone else pays!
  20. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

ill say what a guy who runs a very profitable business said to me.
    parents free but they have to wait till everything else is done.
    every one else is a customer. no b.s.
    even if its 25 bucks its still gas money