1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rediculous question!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by timtpa, Dec 18, 2010.

1. timtpa

timtpa Member

I hope I dont get hammered about this, but here it goes.
    I have allways run dual batteries in my 98' GMC 2500. This summer one of the batteries went bad and it was removed. I kind of forgot about it and after 2 small storms my truck is hard to start and not doing well with 1 **** battery. I wont have $ coming in for a few weeks from the plowing we have done and with it being Christmas time money is tight!
    I found a guy that is selling Optima Yellow Top batteries that are slightly used (6-8 months) for $65 each. Do you guys think it is a bad idea for me to buy 2 of these for my dual setup in my 98' GMC 2500? My wifes car also needs a battery and he said he would sell me 3 for $180!
    Is this a good idea or not? Ive never bought a used battery let alone 3, but am seriously thinking about picking them up tomorrow. What do you all think? Open to all of your opinions and not bothered by criticism! Remember $ is very tight! Thank you very much!

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Do what you have to do to survive, make sure thr batteries good

3. timtpa

timtpa Member

Thanks Mav John. I know I could get a couple new batteries from wal-mart for not a whole lot more than the used Optimas. The guy I am buying them from said they are fine and will test them in front of me to show me. Just a little hesitant about buying used! For some reason I have in my mind that a good used battery is better than a cheap new battery! Not sure if I am correct,but it sounds good! Tim

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I've had nothing but good luck with Walmart batteries! I have had 2 of them in my boat, one in each camper and other vehicles as needed. I say for the price and warranty and peace of mind I would buy new right now, no need to find that a used is bad and be out that money.

5. timtpa

timtpa Member

Thanks Dave! Good Point! Has anyone ever bought a used battery?

6. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

More info on batteries than you need to know!:)

A battery that has been drained of power and not recharged a few times has a lot more wear than one that has been used for a much longer period of time. Knowing the use and or abuse of a battery is important.
    You can test many parameters of battery condition but it is time consuming, just a load test is not going to tell you what condition the battery is internally.
    You can look at the amount of time to draw down or recharge times but w/o knowing the original specs tough to call. I spend a lot of time many miles off shore and my batteries are replaced on a time schedule and then I will use them in non critical equipment.Some have lasted a couple years and some have not!
    Walmart used to have their batteries made to spec by a manufacturer of which there is not many domestic ones. Have not checked in three years but at the time they were OK. but not great. The specs will normally last through Walmarts warranty period which is not bad. Cheap enough but not 30 miles off shore!
    If you are bored and have some batteries cut em open and see the difference in plates. You can still return them for the core charge. I have seen money is not always a deciding factor on quality builds. We have noticed the Basspro AGM batteries are built to pretty decent specs for the price.
    Do not know if that translates to their regular batteries or not though. Anybody have one I would like to see the comparison.

7. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Can you trust this guy? and how come he has 3 optima batteries for sale?

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Exactly.

You said money was tight. I get that but evidently you DO have $180.00. Right?

Can you put your battery in your wife's car and then go to Wal-Mart and get 2 new batterys WITH A 3 YEAR WARRENTY for your truck?

I'm certain in 3 years you will have the cash for NEW Optimas all around.

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

This ones fun to fallow, almost the same quistion on two differant threads

10. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I've purchased used batteries many times over the past 20 years from my local junkyard for $20 each. The last one was 3 years ago for my daughter's beater...still going strong.

11. timtpa

timtpa Member

From what I gather, he has 5 or 6 of them. He has lease trucks and put the optimas in 8 or so months ago. It is now time to turn the fleet trucks in, so he is taking the optimas out and putting the stock batteries back in. Who knows what the real truth is? The guy seems ok and very friendly, but honestly I dont know him from Adam!
    I appreciate everyones input and help!
    Also, I have the money to go buy 3 new batteries from walmart, but could def find a use for even $30 or $40 extra this time of year. I will decide in the morning and update. As far as 2 similar threads I have no idea? were they both from me? I actually did use the search tool before I posted, but couldnt really get much out of it this time! Thanks again. Tim

12. timtpa

timtpa Member

I did post a similar question in the Chevy/GMC forum, but it was before I found the Optimas for sale. I hope its ok that I did that? I found a battery for my wifes car! Thanks again for the help. Im still kind of up in the air. I think if I buy 2 optimas the guy will go $55 or $60 each. Kind of leaning towards giving the used ones a shot!

13. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Hay Tim, do what you want to do, I didn't mean bust your ball on the two threads, and I go back to my first statement, do what you need to do to survive, keep us posted on what you decided and how it's going for you,
    JMO, try the optimas

14. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Is this a gas or diesel I presume a gas.Are your batteries in the truck hooked up together (parallel) or seperately through an isolator?
    If they are hooked up together then they should both be the same characteristics ie the same age and size. Yes the yellow tops are great batteries, but me I would buy 2 new ones with full warranties. Does not make good sense to gamble on used.2 brand new regular batteries should be more then enough to handle plowing, just make sure you buy the ones that match your trucks specs

15. pavmntdestryr

pavmntdestryr Junior Member

If you do go look at them, the only thing I'd do is take a battery tester if you have one and be sure to check the date on them and see exactly how old they are.

16. timtpa

timtpa Member

UPDATE!!!!
    I picked up the Yellow Top Optimas yesterday for $120 for the pair. Anyway, to make a long story short- The Optimas are too damm big to fit! My buddy who was putting them in was actually more bummed than I was! He is a mechanic and also pushes snow and was very excited to put them in my truck! He said the Optimas I bought sell for $210 each and I shouldnt have any prob getting rid of them. Oh well! the 2 that I have are the Optima Yellow Top model # 31 if anyone close by is interested??? Not sure what they are for, but they dont fit in my 98 GMC 2500!
    We just went ahead and put another battery just like I have and did the dual set up like I had last year. Actually took care of the problem I was having with my plow motor continuing to run(a dif post I had in the Hiniker forum)and my plow raising all the way up etc. I read this morning on Hiniker site that a bad truck battery with not enough power can cause what I described. Found this info in the trouble shooting section. The Optimas tested very well and do not have much use. Plenty good for my application just too big!! Sometimes I get something in my head and have a hard time looking at the big picture! Thought the optima was a great idea, but actually i should have just put the same battery in!
    Thank you everyone for all of your input, ideas and help! If anyone is interested in the Optimas I will sell them for $60 each or $120 for the pair.Exactly what I have in them. Contact me and I will give you the dimensions or check them out on the Optima site below. Part # SC31DS MODEL#31

Thanks again,
    Tim

http://shop.optimabatteries.com/home/index/1737.0

17. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I would hate to buy a used battery for that price, I would reather buy a cheap-o battery fro mthe local wallyworld or parts house for the same price, and at least it has a warenty. If you kill it, they will take it back (just don't say anything about the plow)

I did this with spark plugs from autozone in my drag car, replaced them every weekend, I always took 1 set back every week and got new ones..they had a lifetime warrenty! :)