1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Red Top Batteries?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Oct 6, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey,

One of My Guys was talking about the Red Top Battery he has in his truck, and how it was so great. Any of you guys have one of those, and if so what is so good about them?

Geoff

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Are you refering to Optima? I know a sub of mine use's the optima and likes it very much.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2001
  3. GeoffD

I think that was the brand he was talking about.

Geoff

4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Are these some of the new breed of batteries that are acid free and sealed?

Bruce

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I just installed Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery in my 1989 Toyota pickup. The battery recharged quickly. If you are thinking about getting Optima battery for your snowplow truck, get the Yellow Top battery instead of Red Top battery.

6. wxmn6

Plowjockey,

Yes it is the battery that is acid free and sealed. If it is cracked it won't leak.

To visit the web site: http://www.optimabatteries.com

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Latest issue of Consumer Reports tested batteries including Optima red top, they didnt fill the batteries full of holes or flip them over but in comparison with other batteries the red top performance ranked near the bottom in both cca and reserve capacity, basically their comments were you could buy 3 or 4 better performers with the money it would take to replace one optima and come out ahead (hope I got that right).

I replace the battery in my truck every 3 to 4 years just to be safe, and I still wouldnt have recouped the cost of an optima. The old batteries are still serving duty in other vehicles, however, problem-free.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The red top is a starter battery it will not handle the drain and recharge associated with plowing. Optima says that for plowing (which they group with winching) one should use their yellow top to get maximum performance. I run them in all my trucks and never have a problem even with lights, stereo in my own, plow, heat, etc.

9. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I have been running an Interstate C78D-XHT which is rated for ambulance service. This never let me down once last winter.

Bruce
    (I hope I have the number right. Remembering from the driveway to here this early in the morning is not always reliable)

10. GeoffD

I did some research on these batteries, well I went to the company's web page.

What confuses me is the fact that the CCA are only 550 amps. Right now all my trucks have 875 CCA or bigger.

Geoff

11. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a red top Optima in my truck... and no complaints or problems so far. I called them before buying, and they said if you're running dual batteries, go with the yellow top. If you're running a single battery, go with the red top. The yellow ones are deep-cycle batteris. They are meant for severe discharging and re-charging. When plowing, I've never gotten near 12-volts. It's always above 13.5volts, even after 8-hours of use. And I've got a LOT of electronics in my truck... so it's held up pretty well.

I do think that the cca could be higher though. I think next time I'll just go with the most powerful one I can get from NAPA.

Tim

12. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

The red top Optima's are durable, although I haven't tried one for plowing. I had an engine fire in my '72 Jeep, melted the Optima along with other things before I finally got the fire out. After fixing everything, the melted Optima worked fine.

As far as which Optima would be best for plowing, I would think the blue top would be best. It's a deep cycle battery like the yellow top, but it also is a starting battery like the red top. Only problem is the price. Haven't checked lately but I seem to remember they were around $200 a piece last time I looked.

13. speedracer241

speedracer241 Guest

does everyone use a single or a dual battery sey up??
    just curious?
    mark k

14. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

15. SlimJim Z71

I'm running a single battery (Optima), and a Powermaster 200-amp alternator. So far so good.

Tim

16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Teh blue top is a marine battery (different terminals). It is a deep cycle with a few more cca's then the yellow. Again Optima recommends the yellow top for plowing. Amps is not as critical as is the ability of the battery to handle the shock of the quick drain and recharge of an electric pump.

17. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I am running a single batt setup with 200amp powermaster. Do you suggest the yellow top Optima? Also, where do i get one since there is no retailer around here? Can I get one online? Thanks in advance.

18. wxmn6

Yes, Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery is recommended for snowplow trucks. It is designed to handle the high amp draws from snowplow and it recharges quickly back to normal. I bought my Optima Yellow Top battery from this web site.

http://www.accessconnect.com/optima.htm

They are a very good and professional company. They ship it for free. They shipped my battery quickly and it arrive to my doorstep in a few days. There is no additional cost for shipping hazardous material because Optima batteries is sealed and cannot leak.

19. SlimJim Z71

Hmm.... I must've gotten a new-guy when I called and was told to get a red-top.

Anyway, I got mine from Summit Racing... price was cheaper than anyone else at the time, and they shipped it for free or very cheap. Might give them a look too.

Tim

20. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I use two 850 cca batteries and a 100 amp alternator - the older "big case" GM style.