1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Red or Yellow Top?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Hambrick & Co., Jan 19, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Since it refuses to snow in IL. I have a lot of free time on my hands lately, so I am going to install a dual battery set up in my 2005 Silverado 2500HD. Should I go with the Optima yellow top or red top? Also is it just 4 GA. pos to pos and neg to neg? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

DO NOT connect batteries in series (pos to neg) you'll get 24 volts. Use at least #4 wire for the leads... should be fine,
    Al

3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Red or Yellow. Either is fine. Also go Pos to Pos and for the Neg you can hook together or just hook right to ground on block..

4. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I have a full walk through I am posting in the chevy section in a few minutes if you want to read that for help.

5. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the help.

6. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

Yellow top!!! yellows are made for high draw reds are made for cranking. And you need a battery isolator in between the two batts. or a relay other wise it draws to much on the altonator when starting the truck

7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

04 there is no need for an isolator or relay. That is the point of dual batteries for plowing. When you put one in it nullifies the effect and reason of the second battery. Why do you think you remove the isolator from the newer setups that come with duals. So it works the way we need it to for plowing.

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Get the red top!!...I have both red top's i called optima and told them i wanted it for plow and told me that the red top was my best choice..

9. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The red tops (starter battery) have more CCA's than the yellows (750CCA), but the yellows are able to deep cycle. The point behind dual batteries is so that you don't deep cycle a starter battery and ruin it. In my opinion, if you go with the red top, go with a dual setup. But you'll only need one yellow top if you can fork out the extra $30 or so that it costs over one red top. I run a single yellow top with my plow and salter and it works perfectly - the volts don't drop like they did with the factory 600CCA battery.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I never understand why people buy big dollar batteries when others work longer and better.
    I have had great luck with $85 900cca 3 year free replacement batteries. One went 4 years in a plow truck with a 100 amp alternator. Search power or charging on the gray line above it will prove me out.

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

And I've got a yellow top going on 7 years in 2 vehicles with no signs of dying, so the argument can go either way.