1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Red Light on controler...

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by dodgesprt00, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

I have a HD75 and the plow works fine but the red light is always flashing. I would think if the light on something would not work. But everything works fine. What is causing this to keep flashing everytime I turn the plow on?

2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Have seen this alot, there is a filter adapter available to help eliminate the problem (ask your dealer), but it doesn't always eliminate the problem. Have also found cleaning the connections at the coils on the power unit helps. The SnowDogg system is very sensitive to resistance. I talk to SnowDogg about a few units that we couldn't get to stop flashing and was told some of the older harnesses have this problem, (mismatch of the controller and harness I guess). We finely solved the problem by swapping controllers around. How old is you unit? You shouldn't see this on newer units according to SnowDogg. The plow will work fine just flashes the light for with a failure code.
    I have a few adapters in stock if you can't find one.

Robert

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Two thoughts.
    1. If you turn on the controller before the plow is attached it will detect the open circuits. The solution to that is to turn the controller off and on.

2. Does your plow side connector have 3 or 6 small pins? If it has 6, it's probably what PLOFIXGUYS was talking about and the filter could help. The older controllers don't like the 6 pin harnesses.

4. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Scott I have the 3 pin and my 2010 model just started flashing red this year. I was told to get the filter but it does not sound like it will help.

5. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

The plow is a year old and was just in the shop because the pins on the plow side harness were severely corroded and wasn’t responding. I just checked and the new harness is 6 pins. Where do I get the filter to fix this? I don't think I could go all winter with this red light flashing. is this something my dealer should know about?

6. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

where does the filter install into the system?

7. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

The filter go's where the controller plugs in to the harness just like a really short extension cord. If your dealer doesn't have and can't get it for you let me know and I will send you one. Did the dealer warranty that?
    Keep the plugs on the outside GREASED!! LOL

8. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

Yeah they covered it for me. I kept it greased all winter and even went to the dealer to get the grease. I kept telling them the truck side should go over the plow side so the water and salt don't run insidt the plug.. I will check with my dealer in the morning, if they don't have it i will deff. let you know. Thanks.......

9. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

Scott, I'm having the same issue with my EX90 and my warranty is up this month I believe. This has been happeing since day one. It normally flashes between 3 or 4 red lights. Plow works perfectly regardless of this. I brought it in last year and they put the jumper in. This seemed to fix it for a bit but then it started doing it again. Towards the end of the season, the dealer replaced the handheld per Snowdogg's instructions and removed the jumper. This fixed it until my first snow plow last month. We had about 18" of snow, back to the 3 and 4 red light flashes. Can turn it off and back on, it will work for 1 or 2 pushes of the botton then the flashes begin again. The plow still works properly.

Very frustrating!! I love the plow but really don't understand why I keep getting these warnings. All connections are tight, clean and greased so it's not that.

Ideas?? I hate to have to pay to fix a continuous issue. Besides this annoying issue, the plow has been flawless.

Brian

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

If everything else has been ruled out (it sounds like it has) - then the last thing to replace is the plow side harness. Talk to your dealer, have them call me if necessary, it doesn't take long to replace. It could be that there is a loose strand or a partially damaged wire that the controller is detecting.

11. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Member

Thanks Scott, I will do that. I won't be able to get in there for a couple weeks as I have to schedule on a day off where I can afford to be down a vehicle and my next 2 are booked for other work (brakes, rotors etc). Hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

12. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

Took my plow in for annual service and dealer replaced the controller. Problem fixed.

13. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

Asked my dealer about the filter last year and got a deer in the headlights look. i didn't worry about it since i plow only ten days last year. Can i still get one from you or is there anywhere online I can purchase one?

14. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

15. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Part number is 16160602 - but this is only for older controllers with "6 pin" plow harnesses.

16. dodgesprt00

dodgesprt00 Member

Scott,

Is there a way to tell if my controler is old enough to need this? Its been two and a half years since i bought the plow. The plow side harrness has been changed and the controler replaced once. The controler was replaced withing a month of having the plow but the harness was cahnged last december. It did get a 6 pin harness when it was changed which was diffrent from what it had originaly. Please let me know your thought. Is there maybe a date on the controler somewhere?
    Thanks

17. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

You'll probably need it - the newer controllers were last season.