1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recycle Edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Feb 4, 2015.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I need to replace a couple of 3/8 edges. Rather than throw the old edge out I want to weld it to my new edge. Any problems with doing this?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Nope not at all

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd rotate the old edge 180degrees so you can plug weld the two edges by using the old mounting holes to the edge, then lay 3-4" beads spaced about 5-6" from each other along the top of the old cutting edge/new cutting edge.
    Do all this with the new edge mounted to the blade because it will pull/warp and you'll struggle to get it mounted.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Where do you plan on welding it to the new cutting edge? Small pieces on either end is coming practice, welding the entire old edge to the new edge not so much.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've only added 10-12" pieces to the end of the edge and had good results. I'm also running 1/2" edges and didn't want the added weight of a complete edge.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

welding about 10" of the worn edge to the ends of the new edge is what i do. this significantly increases the edge life.

350edge.JPG

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Can I MIG those corner sectors on my edge ? Looks like a good way of freshening up my blade ends...... which are the only place they're wearing..

Or do I need to stick weld (or other) weld them ?

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i use mig. but you need high heat - we're talking about welding two 1/2" plates together. a 110 volt mig isn't going to cut it.

9. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Iv'e seen the edge build up before. But by only welding piecses on the ends won't the center of the edge wear first and not evenly across the whole edge?

10. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

The center can't wear until the edges do. Think about it, what wears out first on a cutting edge? It isn't the center, and they most certainly don't wear evenly the whole way across

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Adding the plate on the end of the edge takes care of a rounded edge and increases the life of the edge. Since we typically windrow the ends of the edge is the first to see any deviation on the surface being plowed. By adding steel at the end it reduces the rounding of the edge which also reduces the wear of the edge too. I was seeing about a 35-40% increase of the life of an edge. At the time I had my Meyer I was plowing 5miles of private road at speeds hitting 25mph which creates a lot of heat.
    This what I did when I was running a Meyer, I use what ever I had laying around and believe this was 6"X4"X1/2". I drilled 3/4" holes in the plate, plug welded and welded the plate on 3sides (not the bottom). Ground a nice chamfer on 3sides of the plate, also ground a trough in the edge and I used my Lincoln 120 Mig at the highest setting. I felt with my experience and prep work I'd get enough penetration. I never had one come off or weld failure on the 4 edges I did this to.

edge.jpg

edge2.jpg

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You've given me something to do this weekend.... or next..... whenever I come across a hunk of steel that thickness...

Thanks MR. High plains drifter......:waving:

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What size do you want? Got part of an old edge laying around.