1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recovery Idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lugnut, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Just thought I'd share what we just put together after the last storm...Had a truck get stuck after it slid sideways off a driveway and we needed a tow truck to get it out since there was no room to pull it with another truck (or room to work it out due to a tree). Anyway after having to wait 7 hours for a tow (we left it and the other trucks were able to pick up the slack and we got through the 2' storm fine despite this) I decided we need to take matters into out own hands. Gathered up a 25 ton chain hoist, heavy duty come a long, snatch blocks, and cables, along with the chains already in tthe trucks, and put together our own little recovery setup. Hopefully we won't be in the same situation again, but with some of the steep and windy driveways we plow its possible. At least now we are better prepared to handle it ourselves with these items on one of the trucks, and will limit downtime.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

post some pictures of how your gonna do this
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

In a tight situation where there isn't room to get another truck into proper position to pull the stuck one there is usually a tree to run the snatch block off of, and then hook to another truck which can pull up the driveway behind where one slid off. The snatch block will allow us to pull a truck sideways in tight spots instead of just forward or backward as you are usually limited to when only using a tow chain. This might not work in every situation but for most I feel it will allow us to handle 80-90% of situations that may arise ourselves. Knock on wood we won't need it, but if we find ourselves in a situation where it can help, we're now better prepared.
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Besides, these are all things we had around the shop so if it helps us once its worth it. Plus one of my drivers used to run a tow truck so we have some additional expertise but the setup is pretty simple in reality so it could help out anyone who has these items.
  5. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

All I have to say is you better have double or triple braided rope and a lot of balls to be using it in extreme temperatures.
  6. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

No ropes, chains from truck to steel cable (same as winch cable on tow trucks) that runs through snatch block, to another chain to 2nd truck
  7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

We had an old county truck with a belly plow and a 10 ft front plow, loaded with sand get stuck in a slight down grade in deep snow. Even our payloader couldn't move it because the lot was partially icy and it just spun it's tires. We had a tow truck come out and to my surpise, he broke out a recovery strap that he hooked up to his truck and the dump truck. He drove off and the recovery strap stretched out quite a bit eand eventually stopped his forward movement and then the dump came right out. I couldn't believe it.
    The tow truck driver did say not to hook it up to anything that could break, like a trailer hitch becasue it will be gone.
  8. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea, I have used chain hoists to get unstuck in the mud doing survey when a come-along wouldn't do the job.
    Snach blocks are the ticket, the more you have the easier the job is for you and the more power you have to pull with..

it might be an expence, but if you get stuck alot, you might pick up an old beater wrecker with a sling (no wheel lift)and just use it to pull out your trucks, could even put a plow on it and use it for a backup, just don't get it stuck :)
  9. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

IMO a recovery strap is the best to use when conditions are icy. I carry a 12k recovery strap. Everybody has their opinions when it comes to using chains/straps. Chains can work if the recovery vehicle has traction and can slowly pull. I see guys all the time chaining up two vehicles and then jerking and jerking and jerking the stuck vehicle until something gives. :nono:
  10. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I bent a guys frame once using a chain, he was stuck in a pond, he said to get him out no matter what. Used my RR chain that has a bushen in it so you do not break it and out he came... but his truck was a little crooked after that.

the best thing about a strap is if it breaks you do not have 15lbs of chain flying at you 50 miles per hr... straps just kinda fall down.....

I know a guy that had his front teeth knocked out casue of a chain breaking, and he was just standing watching the chain get tight so the truck could then pull....
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we keep straps in every truck....the 15' ones are great
  12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 30' 27k refovery strap from cabellas.
    Works great!