1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Recovery Guide

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kunker, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Kunker

Kunker Member

After reading some debates on here about chains versus straps, I thought I'd post up an article from another site:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

A bit of background...the author is an Canadian Naval aviator with a background in science and engineering who does a lot of research before writing these types of articles. There is a section in the article on chain use, and I hope anyone on here gives it a read.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Good info I am sure but I have seen shorter Encyclopidias.

Just get a huge @$$ recovery strap with loops on the end designed for big rigs and go at it. Never use metal hooks unless you want one to come through the glass and kill you.

3. Kunker

Kunker Member

Yeah, Bill can be a bit too detailed sometimes.

You pretty much gave the Cliff notes. For chain users there is a little chart showing the breaking strength of grade 80 chain as well as how to properly use chain that might give some second thoughts.

4. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

You don't want to go too big to the point where the strap won't stretch enough to give you the rubber band effect. The rubber band effect of recovery straps are what gives you the extra oomph and cushioning to get someone unstuck.

I've been four wheeling for years and have been on the receiving and giving end of many straps. My preferred ones are 3" and 4" straps. 2" is too small and 5"+ are too big.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Ok good point.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I keep a 4 inch 30 footer in the truck. Pulled out dozens of cars and pickups, and one F350 diesel with plow and sander.

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I've gotta get me a new one. I just bought a new one a few weeks ago, but it is only a 2"..rated at 17,000 lbs.. It will do for the real light duty stuff, but not the big stuff (like the truck it's in...8600# GVW).